PBS Series Not Marked As New Programs
Emskware
Enthusiast - Level 3

I watch many cooking shows on PBS stations (Martha Bakes, A Chef's Life, America's Test Kitchen, Cooks Country, et al) and have them automatically scheduled to record whenever they air.  However, FIOS doesn't mark which ones are first-run and which ones are repeats. So if I schedule a show for "First-Run and Repeats", it will schedule each and every show that will air in that 2 week period of time -- some of which are duplicates -- most of which I've already seen because they're repeats.  If I go to a particular scheduled program and tell it to "cancel recording", it will cancel it, but then it will repopulate in the "scheduled recording" list.  If I modify the series to "First-Run Only", it won't record any of the shows, since FIOS doesn't mark them as First Run shows.  HELP!!!

0 Likes
Re: PBS Series Not Marked As New Programs
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I have a couple of pbs shows set to record new only. And they are marked,

If you click on a show you expect to be now, does it show the same date as aired date?

Some shows may not have been aired as new on your station. Maybe they delayed due to other shows being aired instead. Look for a show like pbs news hour to see if it ius marked new.

0 Likes
Emskware
Enthusiast - Level 3

The cooking shows, travel shows, etc. aren't marked as "new" for me.  Ever!

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I checked on my PBS and that series is not marked as New either.  But if I go to Marthas website it says that it is a new episode. One thing you can do is go into Manage Series Recordings keep it on first run and repeats and scroll down to the bottom and select No for Duplicates. I know its kind of annoying but at least you will have the show recorded. 

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I just checked my PBS.

For example:

Antiques Road Show on Mon at 8pm is listed as new on both PBS (Baltimore and DC).

You mentioned food shows.

The new show No Passport required is on Tue at 9. Again, sows as new on both channels.

What show(s) are you expecting to be shown as new?

0 Likes
ck210

For some shows, you must select "Yes" for duplicates because the listing details show only the name of the show. For instance, for "Midsomer Murders," you must record two consecutive shows to get an entire episode. Sometimes the details will say only "Midsomer Murders" instead of the episode title. Because none of the episodes are new, you must choose the "new and repeats" option for the series. But then, the same episodes are recorded over and over because they are not necessarily broadcast in order and you must opt in for duplicates. And, to make it worse, you STILL cannot review scheduled recordings and cancel the duplicates that you do not want. Whether you cancel a scheduled recording from the guide (a scheduled episode shows a checkmark) or from the "Scheduled Recordings" item in the menu, the program you cancel will always reappear in the schedule. This causes quite a bit of unnecessary wear and tear on the hard drive, not to mention wasted time doing cleanup. I searched this forum and no one has reported a solution OR said that this behavior is as designed. Does anyone have an update? 

0 Likes