Re: Petitions to get MSNBC on FIOS!!
ggma11261
Contributor - Level 3

anyone outside cablevision area should have msnbc sd  only customers in cablevision territory do not have it.  I am in delaware and have had msnbc from the getgo

0 Likes
jabdaddy
I live in MT. Vernon,NY and am in a non-cablevision area service by Time Warner.  And I still do not receive MSNBC.  i thought the contract cablevision has with them is only in areas they are in, so since they are not in my area, why don't I have it?  and who should i ask?
0 Likes
DMZ

jabadaddy,

That's probably because your FiOS grid is one that also services a neighboring area to yours that is serviced by the world's worst cable company, DolanVision.

I can't believe the FCC hasn't gotten involved in this MSNBC fiasco.

0 Likes
drooplug
Enthusiast - Level 3
Why would the FCC get involved? It's a contractual agreement between Cablevision and MSNBC.  What FCC regulation does that violate? Cable channels do not have to allow themselves to be carried on any provider and any provider doesn't have to carry every cable channel.
0 Likes
skottey
Enthusiast - Level 2

@drooplug wrote:
Why would the FCC get involved? It's a contractual agreement between Cablevision and MSNBC.  What FCC regulation does that violate? Cable channels do not have to allow themselves to be carried on any provider and any provider doesn't have to carry every cable channel.

Actually, there are rules cable companies have to follow. There are rules that say for every channel carried owned by the cable company, they have to carry so many comprable channels owned by other cable companies. In other words, Time Warner Cable cannot just have CNN and not carry Fox News or MSNBC. This is actually a good requirement. Can you imagine if they didn't have this requirement and providers like Time Warner blocked out channels like those? So it is more than just a contract. The FCC can certainly get involved. Don't like it? Write your congressman, but I think they have other, more important things to worry about right now. Like stopping a president fro ruining health care in this country. 

0 Likes
DMZ
{please keep it relevant}

Message Edited by KaLin on 07-19-2009 10:03 AM
0 Likes
skottey
Enthusiast - Level 2
{please keep it relevant}

As far as MSNBCHD. I am all for new channels in HD. Everybody should get their favorite channels in HD. I still want my AMC for Breaking Bad in HD. 

Message Edited by KaLin on 07-19-2009 10:04 AM
0 Likes
lrsachs
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well for me, Shottey & DMZ, I'm just happy to see open dialogue and more postings which keeps this topic up on the list.  There was another topic about MSNBC which got about 2 exchanges in before someone started blasting away that we should all be watching Fox News and then it just devolved into the red state/blue state bashing. {please keep it relevant}

Back to the topic at hand...MSNBC and the regulations of the FCC for providers.  Thanks Shottey for chiming in on that.  I'm still trying to find out where VZ is at with the FCC.  I've actually reached out to some of the contacts at http://policyblog.verizon.com/policyblog/blogs/policyblog.aspx.  Some interesting stuff there if you like telecom policy & an example of corp. PR trying to 'get down w/the people.'  They do allow comments and though they don't let anyone shoot their mouth off, reasonable dissent is all over.  

Still looking for MSNBC and still fighting for it.

Message Edited by KaLin on 07-19-2009 10:05 AM
0 Likes
Re: Other ways to get MSNBC on FIOS!!
deangallea1
Enthusiast - Level 1
I say, pressure all parties (Verizon, MSNBC, FCC) to initiate a Constitutional lawsuit against the Cablevision contract, as restraining speech under the 1st Amendment. MSNBC is not just an "entertainment" channel that may be carried of not at the whim of business interests. It's a legitimate national news channel that is an exclusive outlet for certain points of view that should be available to all subscribers to common-carrier cable services.
0 Likes
Re: Other ways to get MSNBC on FIOS!!
spacedebris
Master - Level 2
From what I've read, Verizon has already taken legal action trying to get MSNBC. I havent read much about it the last few months but there was a big flurry about it late last year. Also I read that Verizon is trying to hit MSNBC in the pocketbook by refusing to carry the MSNBC-HD in any of the area's until they are allowed to carry it in ALL the areas. Since most channels are supported by advertising, getting their channels out to fewer customers hurts. The question is...Will it hurt enough?
0 Likes