Second Tuner tuned to??
menton11
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just changed from a TIVO, where the DVR always told me easily which channels both tuners were tuned to.  With the new FIOS dvr, the non-displayed tuner channel is a mystery.  Knowing this info would let me toggle between the 2 channels and go back on each to re-view the last hour that was broadcasted.  (The dvr is always recording the 2 tuners for about an hour as long as the channel isn't changed.

FIOS tech was dumbfounded by this question.  Anyone have the answer?  Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Second Tuner tuned to??
tns
Master - Level 2

Only easy way is to tell is to hit the last button.

menton11
Enthusiast - Level 3

No, the station on the last button might be off the same tuner, not the other tuner. (With a TIVO this is easy, there is a display telling you what channel each tuner is tuned to)

0 Likes
cxg331
Contributor - Level 1

Doesn't each tuner record 1 station?  That is why you can tape 2 shows at the same time.  In my experience with both Comcast and FiOS DVRs, the current station and the last station visited are the ones being recorded on each tuner.  So, hitting the "last" button would seem to be the easiest way to see which two stations are being "stored" by the two tuners.  Obviously, if you are recording a program, then your tuners will be your current channel and the channel of the program being recorded.

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

This has been an issue for quite a while. Verizon does not list the swapping of tuners as a feature. Most people are able to switch tuners by using the last button. But some of us (me for example) cannot get the DVR to switch tuners. I've tried on many DVR's following the directions provided by others here on the forum that are able to get it working but I have never got it to work. And since it is not an "offical" feature, Verizon does not support it. In fact most of their agents have no idea what we are even talking about.

menton11
Enthusiast - Level 3

And many here don't know what we are talking about either, spacedebris.  The DVR has a mind of its own when it comes to the 2 tuners.  Chhsing "last" is very haphazard, and, like I said, this is NOT necessarily the channel the 2nd tuner is tuned to!  YOu could just be flipping the channels with Tuner #1, and Tuner #2 is tuned to a 3rd channel. 

And I just read that Directv is talking again to TIVO, and they will be partners again.  Too bad.  And too bad I have so many trees!

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

Unless you have the other tuner is recording something, my experience has been that hitting last does indeed switch tuners.  Both live buffers continue to show content on the current and the last tuner.

I suppose it may be different with other boxes, and under certain other conditions.  I have had a 7216 and now a 7232.

Justin46
Legend

@tns wrote:

Unless you have the other tuner is recording something, my experience has been that hitting last does indeed switch tuners.  Both live buffers continue to show content on the current and the last tuner.

I suppose it may be different with other boxes, and under certain other conditions.  I have had a 7216 and now a 7232.

The Last button has always, always, always worked in what I consider the correct manner for me. When I hit Last it takes me to the last channel (not necessarily the last tuner) I was viewing, it does not matter whether I am recording anything or not. I had a 6416 for 5 1/2 years, now have a 7232, both work exactly the same way. I have tried this in as many different environments as I could, recording one channel, recording two channels, not recording, entering the same channel number twice in a row, etc, and it always switches between the last two different channels I have watched.

Since there are people who apparently have a different experience, I think it would be great if they could document exactly what environment or sequence they go through where it does not work as they think it should, that way maybe we can get a bug identified and fixed. I went through this process with someone years ago, Spacedebris I think but I am not sure it was so long ago Smiley Very Happy , but whoever it was, we would go through what appeared to be exactly the same sequence of button presses and get different results. My take on that is one of the DVRs was broken, and I don't think it was mine, but who knows.....

Anyway, for me, the Last button has always done what I expected on my DVRs.

Keller, TX 76248

tns
Master - Level 2

Did some more testing on a 7232.

Yes, unless I am watching a program that was recorded  or VOD, last button moves between the last two programs watched.  Not sure what two channels it is switching between in the case of recording or vod.

But also if I am not recording, it moves between these two channel and appears to always switch tuners to do so.  Both channels continue to build up in the video buffers and I can rewind these to watch portions of either program.  Once I move to a third channel, the buffer flushes for the channel that is no longer current or last.

Emissary35
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's kind of a pain that if you are recording 2 shows and using both tuners you can't change the channel or watch anything on demand.  They should change it so if 2 channels are recording you can still change the channel, just that the channel you change it to won't record and you can't pause because both tuners are in use.  Essentially it would be like watching tv without a dvr on the channel you are tuned into until at least one recording was finished.  This probably isn't possible but it would be really nice.

0 Likes