Series Recording Issues
DocBrodie

My son likes to watch Thomas and Friends on Sprout, so we like to have a few episodes saved on the DVR. The problem is that it comes on like 8-10 times per day, and the DVR is CONSTANTLY recording new episodes, sometime interfering when we are watching another program.

What I'd like to do is set up a series recording that will record and save up to 7 episodes, but then STOP recording any more episodes until we watch a delete one of these 7. However, when I set the series options to record first run and repeat, keep up to 7 episodes, and save until space is needed, it just keep recording new episodes, deleting the oldest ones as it records a new one if there are more than 7. If is change the settings to record first run and repeat, keep up to 7 episodes, and save until I delete, it just keeps recording episodes well beyond 7, until the DVR space is full.

Any suggestions?

0 Likes
Re: Series Recording Issues
matcarl
Master - Level 1

The "keep up to" option does not do what you think it does. It means it will keep seven episodes and then delete the oldest one when an eight gets recorded.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

@DocBrodie wrote:

My son likes to watch Thomas and Friends on Sprout, so we like to have a few episodes saved on the DVR. The problem is that it comes on like 8-10 times per day, and the DVR is CONSTANTLY recording new episodes, sometime interfering when we are watching another program.

What I'd like to do is set up a series recording that will record and save up to 7 episodes, but then STOP recording any more episodes until we watch a delete one of these 7. However, when I set the series options to record first run and repeat, keep up to 7 episodes, and save until space is needed, it just keep recording new episodes, deleting the oldest ones as it records a new one if there are more than 7. If is change the settings to record first run and repeat, keep up to 7 episodes, and save until I delete, it just keeps recording episodes well beyond 7, until the DVR space is full.

Any suggestions?

How about setting that series to record only at the specified time?  That way you'd only get 1 per day, even if the guide is showing more than one per day as a new episode?

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Eliefe hit it on the nose.

In the case of what you are doing. I'd just go in and set up a manual recording. Set it to record that channel at a specific time, instead of recording a series.

For example, go in and say record channel 263 from 10a-11a Mon-Fri (I know sprout is 263 but I just pulled the time out of the air. I have no idea when that show is on)

That way it records that channel at that time regardless of what is on, that way you dont get all the repeats throughout the day.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Actually, you don't have to schedule it as a manual recording.  One of the options when you record a series is to record at scheduled time only.  I actually have our series defaults set to that behavior. Smiley Wink

0 Likes