Switching from Comcast - Need some Assistance
ssetta
Contributor - Level 1

I have been a Comcast subscriber for many years now, but have heard that FiOS is supposed to be better. However, there are a few things that make me somewhat ambivalent about switching. First off, I've had Comcast for years, and have had a few issues with them, but not THAT many. So I don't know if it'd be worth it to change, since a new provider might not be as good. But also, I noticed that carriage of local channels is different on FiOS than it would be on cable, since I would assume it would be the same throughout the entire market. For instance, in the Boston area, some communities near the Rhode Island border receive Providence channels as well as Boston on cable, but not on FiOS. I've also heard that FiOS' On Demand selections are rather different. I know there's tons of movies on demand, but what about TV shows, and local events? I also saw a post here from someone who doesn't get local weather on their system. So I've heard that in a way, FiOS is more like satellite than it is like cable.

Anyway, I'm sure that many of you here who now have FiOS TV have switched from cable, and let me ask you this: Have any of you ever considered switching back? Why, or why not? 

0 Likes
Re: Switching from Comcast - Need some Assistance
jmcohen231
Contributor - Level 3

fair question.

I switched from comcast to verizon at the end of last year.

my sole reason for switching was due to savings of $40/month.  To me, the quality, speed, and service appears to be the same (or hardly noticeable to make a significant difference).

the main advantage for switching to FIOS is money.  Some small advantages FIOS has over Comcast is some of their local networks on-demand content.  I believe that Comcast only provides CBS while Verizon offers ABC, NBC, and CBS (neither carry Fox on-demand).

the main disadvantage to me is that you do NOT need a set-top box to get all of the channels with comcast.  a simple splitter will suffice.  for FIOS, you need to rent the box for each tv or else you will not get a picture.  another disadvantage is that the free movies on Comcast are far more vast and far better than Verizon.  However, Verizon is aware of this and are slowly adding more content throughout this year.

As for customer serivce, it's hit or miss with both.  You'll read many horror stories and happy stories from both sides, so to me, that's almost a risk or expectation with any paid service.

that being said, FIOS has made considerable advancements in technology in their internet and cable service over the past few years while keeping the costs to the consumers down.  comcast, on the other hand, has not made any significant technological advances (at least none that I know of, although they do claim to double your internet speed every year, but so does everyone else).

thus, even though I must rent a box for each of my 6 tvs, I'm still saving $40/month, but we'll see what happens when the 1-year promotion ends this december.

0 Likes
Re: Switching from Comcast - Need some Assistance
jamieva
Contributor - Level 1

I switched from Comcast 18 months ago and have had far fewer service issues then I did with Comcast.

As for your weather question, on TWC HD, during the locals on the 8s, you do not get local forecast.  You do get local on the 8s weather on TWC SD, and you have a channel called Weatherscan (49 in my area) that is local weather 24x7.

0 Likes