Re: The Weather Channel
steve_o_2
Enthusiast - Level 3

This is the statement from TWC:

Statement from The Weather Channel
March 10, 2015

We were disappointed when, without warning late yesterday, March 9, Verizon FiOS dropped The Weather Channel from their lineup while our companies continued to be in active conversations regarding a contract renewal. FiOS customers have enjoyed a bundle of services from The Weather Channel including the network, WeatherScan, On Demand, a Weather Widget and streaming on mobile devices.

During a winter with record-breaking storms and severe weather, The Weather Channel responded with non-stop live coverage, including the ongoing presence of our crews reporting live from hard-hit communities within the Verizon FiOS footprint. This coverage resulted in The Weather Channel being the only major cable network to grow in February.

After recently renewing carriage agreements with NCTC, Cox and Time Warner Cable, we are surprised Verizon FiOS would deny their subscribers access to the best live weather coverage and expertise that only The Weather Channel can provide. They have made it clear to us that they no longer wish to negotiate​,​ despite our desire to continue to serve their subscribers.​ We urge FiOS customers to contact Verizon and voice their displeasure. Call [content not allowed]

0 Likes
Candidone1

How CHEEP can Verizon Be..Direct TV Settled with weqather Channel (After they Created there own "Weather Nation and it was a Bomb). Dish Setteled in Past  and Aggreed.. 

BUT VERIZON JUST DUMPOS "ACCUWEATHER ON US WITH NO WARNING !! 

WELL WITH VERIZON SELLING OFF ALL LANDLINES AND FIOS TO "FRONTIER COMMUNICATION IN A YEAR IN CALIFORNIA AND TEXAS I GUESS THIS IS THE BEGINNING OF THE END!!

VZN sold off other properties to Frontier in other styates and People are VERY Dissatisfied, Even with FIOS Internet. They Don't Maintain Verizon Former High Standards.. If this keeps goingh (and all Over maybe 8 cents a subscriber )We May go Direct TV (Yes I know ATT bought them now!) That sucks too.. 

BUT THEY HAVE THE WEATHER CHANNEL AND WE HAVE A MOTORHOME THAT WE CAN BETTER USE THAT IN!!

Common VZN REINSTATE the Weather Channel before its to Late and Frontier really Screws it Up.. After 2 Years of Great Service thei seems the BEginning of the END for VZN  BUMMER

Such a SImple FIX the VZN thinks we can just Roll over a Take..Common Cable Services are Dying. Don't Add to it!!!

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

No breah of contract.

They clearly state that can add and remove channels as business dictates.

And all of those who keep saying we need TWC in the event of severe weather:

We haven't seen Accuweather performance during a severe weather event.
They may have just what we need.

Not to mention their commitment to improve and be what most people are saying they want:

A channel that has weather - not all of the extra shows.

Read here to see what they intend to do:

http://getaccuweather.tv/accuweather-advantage

Keep in mind that TWC didn't start where they are today.

VZDidWhat
Enthusiast - Level 2

Bring back the Weather Channel ... I need the local on the 8's!

NNJTom
Enthusiast - Level 1

Dear FIOS

The cable industry is in deep trouble because of moves like this.  Sure, I have 200 something channels, but we only actually watch maybe 20 on a regular basis.  One of which was the Weather Channel.   The Accucrap thing is aweful, so you have effectively reduced my channel line-up by 5% with no corresponding reduction in fee.

You are at risk of being replaced.  One more stupid move like this and you are gone.  We have several other options which are less expensive.  I keep FIOS because I believe your service is better, but this latest move is making me rethink my opinion.

s4hand
Enthusiast - Level 1

Very dissappointed that The Weather Channel has been dropped.  In addition to forecasts and weather, I enjoyed the programs and shows.  Please bring it back!!!!

kevncoll
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am a self-proclaimed weather geek.  I watch The Weather Channel ALL THE TIME.  If I had known that Verizon Fios was planning on dropping them 2 months after my husband and I re-upped our contract for 2 YEARS, I would never have renewed.  I would now be an Xfinity customer.  We have been Fios customers for well over 5 years after having nothing but problems with Comcast/Xfinity, but just this issue in itself, would make me want to switch back!!  To you large salary earning, decision making executives who have decided to not renew the Weather Channel and break off negotations, you should be ashamed of yourselves!  Look at how many of your subscribers - 79 pages worth of forum posts when I started this post, are enraged by this!!  Get off your laurels and back to negotating!!  You will be losing MANY, MANY faithful customers if this continues!  Accu-weather STINKS!

jonesmagicfan
Enthusiast - Level 3
CRobGauth:

You may very well be right.  But, why change when a change was not necessary?  Many of us are obviously happy with TWC.  I see VERY few on this board saying otherwise.  It sounds like you agree with this decision and that is certainly your right.  But, I doubt you will convince many in this thread that going to AccuWeather will be better.  This could of been handled by Verizon VERY differently.  Why a midnight change with ZERO notification before the event?  I usually get messages from Verizon about content changes several weeks before the changes are made.  This really does not make sense.  Unfortunately (at least for those of us who enjoy and rely upon TWC) we are probably stuck.  Who knows the deal Verizon made with AccuWeather?  It could be exclusive and not allow other competition (TWC, WeatherNation, etc...).  I would be OK if Verizon added AccuWeather as an addition.  But, as a replacement?  Come on, it is just wrong.  You are correct, this is NOT a breach of contract.  But, the way the whole thing went down has left a VERY sour taste in my mouth and the same for many others.  

CRobGauth Wrote: Re: The Weather Channel

No breah of contract.

They clearly state that can add and remove channels as business dictates.

And all of those who keep saying we need TWC in the event of severe weather:

We haven't seen Accuweather performance during a severe weather event.
They may have just what we need.

Not to mention their commitment to improve and be what most people are saying they want:

A channel that has weather - not all of the extra shows.

Keep in mind that TWC didn't start where they are today.

VZDidWhat
Enthusiast - Level 2

VZ ... you have a couple of weeks to get this straightened out. Just checked with COMCAST and they have comparable service (including weather channel) for comparable prices.  Good news is new customer gift card will cover cost of my early termination with VZ.

ThreeOverPar
Enthusiast - Level 1

Verizon's discontinuance of The Weather Channel is unacceptable. Accuweather is wothless. Lack of content, lack of talent, lack of boots on the ground reporting. Verizon's Programming Director is as out of touch with our needs, wants and desires as obama. Give us back our Weather Channel!