Re: The Weather Channel
Rocky18
Enthusiast - Level 3

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/04/13/the-weather-channel-delivers-most-watched-quarter-in-tot...

Here is something Verizon might be interested in. And without FIOS Customers no less.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Most of the quarter was with FIOS customers.

And the ratings say they are averaging 240K people a day.

And that is out of the entire country.

Given that FIOS only has 5M subscribers (out of 100M households or so) their numbers cant be very high.

If Verizon has 5% of households, then lets say they have 5% of TWC viewers.

That would be 12K out of 5M.

Not a very large number.

0 Likes
steve_o_2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Over two months now, and still very very upset the Local WeatherScan and The Weather Channel are gone. Accuweather is horrible, and WeatherNation, while slightly better, is no substitute. I complained vociferously and corporate did give me $20/month off and free HBO for the next two years, but frankly, I'd rather pay the extra and lose the HBO to have these very important channels back!

BRING BACK THE LOCAL WEATHERSCAN AND THE WEATHER CHANNEL!!

DO NOT GIVE UP, WE THE CUSTOMER MUST WIN THIS BATTLE WITH THE **bleep**(S) AT CORPORATE WHO MADE THIS AWFUL DECISION!

NeeravGamadia
Enthusiast - Level 1

I would like to get the weather channel back. If verizon is better than the other competition they should have kept the weather channel contract and added as a bonus incentive AccuWeather.

EricDee1978
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've been hearing stories lately that people are being told by FiOS sales reps that Verizon is in negotiations to bring back The Weather Channel.

Is this true, or is this a "bait & switch" tactic being used by Verizon to lure new customers?

I'd really appreciate it if someone from FiOS cosmic control gave me an honest answer, and not the usual scripted reply.

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

They never officially ended negotiations.  But it doesn't sound like they are going anywhere.

EricDee1978
Enthusiast - Level 3

@tns_2 wrote:

They never officially ended negotiations.  But it doesn't sound like they are going anywhere.

I'm confused, then. There's a website out there that says efforts to reach a resolution have ended (Then again, it's said that since the 15th of April) and a couple of my friends have confirmed through contacts of their own that there are no current negotiations as of a couple weeks ago...

As I just indicated, I'm confused on what to believe... All I know is that if negotiations are indeed still ongoing, then an agreement has to be reached and soon before FiOS' lack of The Weather Channel kills someone because they can't get current information (For all you post-watching trolls out there wishing to pounce on me for saying that, I offer this: ANYTHING is possible, so show some respect & check your facts before trolling me in a reply), but if negotiations are well and truly over, then Verizon needs to stop telling people they are in negotiations to get The Weather Channel back in order to entice new customers, because it all stinks of "Bait and Switch" advertising to me.

I intend no disrespect to you at all, TNS_2. I do appreciate your reply, but experience has taught me to always be a bit on the skeptical side when not presented with pure facts...

bbwcnow

Love my Verizon service until the Weather Channel was dropped.  Enough!  Complained and raised heck to bring back the Weather Channel.  Apparently, it has fallen on deaf ears.  Is there some kind of savings in one's bill due to the dropping of the Weather Channel?  No matter, a competitor just sent me a two year deal on the same Verizon services INCLUDING the Weather Channel.  The offer expires in about a month.  The only way to facilitate change is take one's business elsewhere.  Don't want discounts or HBO or whatever, want the Weather Channel back.  While I'm at it, mabye I switch my cell service.  A real shame that some kind of agreement hasn't been reached after all this time.

T minus 26 days and counting.

0 Likes
limitup
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well the hurricane season is here and we live in Tampa.  Every year we depend on the Weather Channel to keep us informed about any possible hurricane threats.  This year we'll have to rely on AccuWeather????  We have to sit through endless reports on cities around the country before they get to our city.  So annoying.  This past few days there have been tornadoes and flooding throughout the country but AccuWeather barely notes it.  We pay a literal fortune for Verizon and they keep dropping channels but losing the Weather Channel was unbelievable.  Apparently Verizon couldn't come to an agreement with Weather Channel about price.  Well what about us?  We have no recourse, no opportunity for negotiation, we just have to pay what Verizon decides to charge.  What can be done about getting the weather back?

Kasism
Enthusiast - Level 1

Bad form on cancelling TWC.   Gave Accuweather a chance, but just not able to match the coverage.   Extremely bad move to remove any/all live local radar as well (ch 49).   I use the internet and it can give more analytical info, as I have pro Accuweather access for radar if I need, I am also a HAM operator (N5LXB) and have storm chasing monitoring.  But.  TWC is a mainstay for content, live coverage and overall weather geek need.   AW channel, has not the abilty to do this.   The storms here in Tx have been really critical, guess where exec's live just dont get the need.   Really dissapointed in this move, but it is not uncommon in the industry.