Re: We want the weather channel returned!!
Deplorable

No, don't. Its fake weather news and liberal propaganda.

0 Likes
Re: Weather Channel
ednorton
Enthusiast - Level 2

Any service that names there own storms are not worth watching!

0 Likes
Bring back The Weather Channel
uncle1mike
Enthusiast - Level 3

Does anyone know of an email address or a person @ Verizon Fios to write to regarding The Weather Channel?

0 Likes
Re: weather channel
Dan_Miller1
Enthusiast - Level 3

@tns2 wrote:

Pretty much no Verizon people are on this Forum, certainly not on this thread.

It is a waste of time continuing to post on this thread.  Verizon isn't looking at it.

And your reasoning for this completely untrue statement? There are VZ people all over these forums.

This thread is the number 1 thread in the programming forum.

VZ may not be commenting, but I guarantee they know of its existance.

And to the people who ask, "besides storm coverage, is there anyone who actually watches TWC?" I can answer for me and a bunch of people that I know personally-- YES.

When I was on Optimum, it was the channel that I had my system programmed to bring up first when my system powered on. It was the channel that I turned on while still in bed waking up. Their local coverage is unsurpassed. There is not an internet service, channel, or streaming app (including Local Now) that beat its local on the 8s update. I know because not only do I work in the industry, but I have searched and paid for many trials once I discovered after swithcing to Fios that TWC wasn't there any more. The closest I have found so far is subscribing to DirecTV Now on my Roku and getting TWC through them. That gets my local on the 8s to about 3 more towns south of where I live. Local Now simply gives me NYC, which even though it's only about 40 miles away, is a world apart because I'm on the shore. But I digress.

The point is that VZ absolutely knows that we are here and complaining about this. Their choice as far as we are concerned is to ignore us. They can't ignore it though. I'm sure their business reason are sound. But I'll bet that they would be surprised if it were offered as a premium channel. Personally, I'd pay an extra 9.95 a month for it. It's better than 14.95 for DirecTV NOW on my Roku which I am only using for TWC.

With the beginnings of true IPTV in this country (amazing to me that it has taken so long compared to Europe), It might not be too much longer for Fios TV or any one provider to exist. Within 5-10 years every channel and network will be available over IP for a true à la carte service opportunity for viewers. Hopefully VZ will give people what they want - even charging for it - until they can't any more. But making the choice for us is very last century.

Just my 2¢

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

You have to have enough customers willing to pay to make it worth it.
There are fixed costs associated with connecting for content.

And I would assume that TWC would have to agree to this business model.

How much would they get of the charge?

Verizon had info (as they stated when channel was dropped) that the number of customers who watch was too low to justify the cost (remember they pay for every customer regardless if they watch or not).

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Dan_Miller wrote:

@tns2 wrote:

Pretty much no Verizon people are on this Forum, certainly not on this thread.

It is a waste of time continuing to post on this thread.  Verizon isn't looking at it.

And your reasoning for this completely untrue statement? There are VZ people all over these forums.

You would be surprised how few official Verizon people are on these forums.  

Verizon knew exactly how many were watching TWC when weather events were not occurring.  When TWC raised their per household charge, they decided it cost too much.  And they were not the only TV Cable/Satellite company that thought so.  A few others dropped TWC or threatened to.  At least one came back, but Verizon doesn't look to be one considering doing so.

0 Likes
uncle1mike
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon Fios is the only provider that does not carry the Weather Channel. It is the only provider that caries the Accuweather Channel.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@uncle1mike wrote:

Verizon Fios is the only provider that does not carry the Weather Channel. It is the only provider that caries the Accuweather Channel.

Mostly true but not completely.  Some minor providers don't carry TWC, although some had dropped it and later come to an agreement.

Local Accuweather is carried in many places.  In fact it is the origin of the Accuweather Network that Verizon is carrying.  Frontier FIOS also carries it.

0 Likes
Re: The Weather Channel
arb_prophet
Enthusiast - Level 2

No "official" Verizon people on this forum - hahaha

0 Likes
Re: The Weather Channel
Dominegyptian

Exactly .

0 Likes