Re: TWC Sports Net?
Rick310
Enthusiast - Level 1

What a bummer no laker pre-season games. First season not able to see  first laker games at home. I think verizon should of done something sooner. Do they really care about it's customers?

For latest news on Timewarner and Lakers

go here http://readhere.info/timewarnernews

ginodidas507
Enthusiast - Level 2

So I have been reading over the last weeks worth of threads and wanted to see if any of you considered the following:

Because Verizon has not announced anything that convinces the customer to stay because time Warner sports is coming, just flat out leave; or, stay with Verizon order the League Pass for 180 for the season and stay with Verizon, or spend 40 bucks for the season and get NBA Mobile League pass for my genius phone and stay with Verizon. Any thoughts or suggestions?  It is irritating though that Verizon with their letters in capitals "FIOS" are unable to compromise with a small sector of time Warner sports and come to an agreement. 

Honestly I could care less of the business side, cause guess what?? Im a paying customer that keeps this business running and if the service being provided does not satisfy the money I pay for,  then what do you suggest is the next logical step?

I am no out of the ordinary type of customer, I am just an average customer, earn income, pay bills, pay utilities and provide.  Im sure there are more out there like me who do the same to some level of similarity.  Usually when similarities begin to amass, they begin to create huge results.   Which huge result will Verizon see?

chaunce
Contributor - Level 1

Depends where you are at. If you are in SO cal the league pass games will be locked out. So that really isn't a viable option unless you want to see a black screen.

Raiders131
Contributor - Level 1
Cjsilvery, unless it specified the Lakers games I highly doubt it.
0 Likes
chaunce
Contributor - Level 1

For those of you who have a contract just remember, yes it is gonna suck to pay the termination fee, but the reality is this. who knows how long this will go on. remember verizon just decided to not carry the pac 12 channel. Remember verizon is on the bottom end of the totem pole in terms of market share. They are a relatively new company that is trying to grow. they simply may not be able to pay for this channel. If they do get it, then rates will go up anyway.

I think as laker fans we can all agree, that we wont settle for not being able to see laker games.

I understand waiting until regular season, but trust me if a deal isn't done by then, jump ship. Verizon still has yet to put out an official response or give any type of real feedback regarding this issue. All we have gotten is some mod on this site saying they are in negotiations. The other companies have been way more pro active and open with what is going on to their customers. That tells you a lot about how much verizon cares about this issue and how they run their business.

F21
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, ginodidas507, I wish it was as easy as ordering NBA League Pass TV/Broadband/Mobile, but it is not if you live in the region that encompasses Lakers basketball (see link below):

http://www.nba.com/leaguepass/3pp/

Local and national market blackout rules apply based on your location. Nationally and locally televised games are subject to blackouts and are therefore not available via NBA LEAGUE PASS BROADBAND (regardless of home or away).

What does this mean? Well if I understand the blackout rules correctly, it means that if you reside in the Lakers regional market you will not be able to see Lakers games via any of the three NBA League Pass services, not even from the opposing teams broadcast feed.

Another option I've read about on another forum is that you can purchase a VPN service that will assign you an IP address outside of Southern California that will essentially allow you to bypass the blackouts. Of course you would also need to purchase NBA League Pass Broadband and run it through the VPN in order to bypass the blackouts. But this option could or not work (see link below).

http://leaguepasssupport.nba.com/ics/support/kbanswer.asp?deptID=7801&task=knowledge&questionID=264

The option mentioned above sounds like a lot of work to me and seems to me that the easiest solution to all of this is to simply switch providers. But that is exactly it, for some it is not as easy to make the switch. Whether it is the early cancellation fees, or not wanting to go through the hassle of returning old equipment and having the new service installed. These are the things that are making most of us Lakers fans hold back from making the switch and are hoping for the best, which would be for Verizon to come to an agreement to carry the TWC channels.

Hopefully as the regular season start date approaches we will get more encouraging information, but the way the world of sports television business is nowadays I am expecting and I am planning for the worst.

LakerZombie
Enthusiast - Level 3

TO ALL THE CONTRIBUTORS IN THIS THREAD...

I've been told that last nights Ontario game between the Lakers and the Blazers was broadcast in PORTLAND on a little channel called Comcast Sportsnet

Does TWC own Comcast? If not it seems at least ONE other cable provider has already reached a deal to carry TWC Sportsnet.

Yes its not in Cali but still....when I hear that NO OTHER CABLE PROVIDER HAS REACHED A DEAL....then I hear about this....

Still waiting on you Verizon....how many of those 4M customers are you willing to let jump ship come Oct 30th?

Smiley Frustrated

0 Likes
F21
Enthusiast - Level 2

Comcast has nothing to do with TWC. They are a provider like TWC that has the television rights to broadcast Portland Trailblazers basketball games. Most regional sports network channels have the words Sportsnet in their name and that does not mean they all have something to do with each other. The broadcast you are referring to is the opposing teams feed not the TWC Sportsnet feed.

LakerZombie
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ya that makes sense. I realized that after i posted. Thanks F2

So essentially each team is "owned" by a single cable provider in each NBA city.

Ya....that makes me feel alot better....

Smiley Frustrated 

0 Likes
PattyB4
Enthusiast - Level 1

Just talked to Verizon and they say they have no information in regards to this issue still. Time Warners wants Verizon to pay 3.99 a customer for access to the TWC Sports Net channel. Verizon is holding out. I wonder if the Lakers knew this would happen when they signed over to Time Warner. I hate Time Warner, but I love the Lakers, so I guess I will be going back to Time Warner, so sucks, FIOS has been really good too.

0 Likes