Re: Verizon arbitrarily changed my plan
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Contract with Verizon (and most other providers) allow for channels to be deleted (and sometimes added) as they desire. This usually happens around contract renewal  time. Cable companies pay for channels by the number of people that have a channel in their package. Regardless of viewer ship. It appears Verizon recently renewed with discovery for their family of channels. So they may have had to pay more and offset it by removing channels from some lower tiers. And the reason your cost can be unchanged is because the price increase for remaining channels made up the difference.

And don't be surprised if you get no response from FCC complaint. They typically don't get involved on these types of disputes when it falls within a contract.

they moved my channel to more expensive packages
kingb1119
Enthusiast - Level 1

the 2channels on in my home most of the time are destination America and discovery family, mine and my 5year olds favorite channels i call to find out what happened they moved them to a more expensive package,  so messed up so now i can pay extra for channels i was already enjoying or downgrad and lose 150 channels... Verizon are snakes with the package plan system iwill be going back to Comcast which i should of never left with the sneaky Verizon 

kingb1119
Enthusiast - Level 1

they really are sneaky i had issues with them when they first brought fios to my area they finally converted me from Comcast.. they had people knocking on my door every day driving me insane until they redid the package plans to a more affordable system only to take away my and my 5 year old daughters favorite 2 channels when they moved them to a more expensive package out of the blue and i can pay more or downgrade while loosing 150 stations... they really are scum

Re: they moved my channel to more expensive packages
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

All providers pay the content providers by the number of subscribers that can receive a channel. And the content providers can also specify which packages the channel is to be placed.

It appears that Verizon just resigned a contract with Discovery. I am guessing that Discovery raised rates. So to compensate, Verizon moved lesser channels to higher packages to save money. Verizon has stated they measure viewership. So its possible that having these channels in the lower tiers no longer made economic sense.

I have to assume that other cable providers make similar choices. They may do it by raising rates and/or removing channels.

Taking channels away!
Missyme1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I feel like it's very shady to take away channels from a persons plan lineup and no longer be able to view them unless you upgrade to a much more expensive plan!!  It's one thing if the channel is gone completely, but to find out it's still there.....only if you upgrade, is really messed up!!😡

Missyme1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I absolutely agree!!  I'm so mad!!  It's really messed up!!

I want my destination America back!!  Not for thirty something more a month though!!  VERY SHADY!!!

When we renewed our CONTRACT with VERIZON we agreed to pay so much for so many channels.
Friendly
Contributor - Level 2

When we renewed our CONTRACT with VERIZON we agreed to pay so much for so many channels. NOW WE LEARNED THE AMERICAN HERO CHANNEL WE PAY FOR AND AGREED TO ON OUR CONTRACT FOR RENEWEL IS GONE AND WE ARE SUPPOSE TO PAY AN ADDITIONAL CHARGE TO GET WHAT WE HAVE BEEN PAYING FOR. Are we going to get charged LESS FOR NOW RECEIVING LESS THEN WE AGREED TO ON OUR NEWAL? We have been long time faithful subscribers to VERIZON. Now as RETIRED SENIORS ON A FIXED INCOME Verizon is breaking our agreed to contract and wants us to pay even more for what we have been paying for since our renewal. We have VERIZON WIRELESS, INTERNET, TV, CELLPHONES AND LANDLINE PHONES and now you pentalize us instead of keeping our agreed upon contact, sad very sad. THIS IS HOW YOU TREAT LIFE TIME SUBSCRIBERS, SENIORS AND I AM A US VETERAN WHO ENJOYED THE AMERICAN HERO CHANNEL.

Re: When we renewed our CONTRACT with VERIZON we agreed to pay so much for so many channels.
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Your contract does not guarantee a certain set of channels.

If you read the tos, you will see that Verizon (like other cable providers) have the right to add or remove channels from your package.

Because content contracts get renewed at different times, cable providers have to manage costs of channels as well as income from customers. Not to mention content contracts that can have clauses about what packages must carry their channel(s).

Friendly
Contributor - Level 2

I appreciate your answer, I don't think it is fair to any subscribers, and I don't like the answer. MORE THEN ANYTHING I AM GREATLY DISAPPOINTED WITH VERIZON. For years I have been sharing with all my family, friends

Friendly
Contributor - Level 2

I appreciate your answer, I am not pleased with the answer. For years I have been sharing with friends and family about VERIZON. We have VERIZON WIRELESS, LAND LINE, INTERNET AND Cell phones. WE ARE PAYING FOR THE AHC SO WE SHOULD BE GETTING A REDUCED PRICE NOW FOR REDUCED SERVICE.