Weather Channel Question
Good-Buddy1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Here in Hampton Roads Va. we have the Weather Channel in HD and SD but the HD channel doesn't  cover the local weather when the local weather is to be shown but the SD weather channel has the local weather shown.  Why is this and why can't the HD weather channel show the local weather too?

0 Likes
Re: Weather Channel Question
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

Because Verizon has not invested in an HD Intellistar (the device which does the Local on the 8s insertion) for each of the VHOs.  Until they do it will be just like the satellite providers which gives you the nationwide outlook for the local break.

AFAIK they have not upgraded any VHO for the Local on the 8s in HD.

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Its funny you should ask this question because I noticed that the other day for the first time here in NY the local weather was playing in SD and it was different for HD.  That's weird but I'm glad I know the answer to that now.

Thanks Keyboards for this.

Jim

0 Likes
sailingdude

We have the same problem in Sarasota, FL with not receiving the local weather.  Here is the response I received from the Weather Channel:

"Verizon Fios receives The Weather Channel's high defintion (HD) service, but does not have a HD STAR. (The Weather STAR unit is the piece of equipment that is responsible for generating the local weather experience on the 8s of the hour, along with the weather data that airs on the lower display line at the bottom of the viewing screen.) Currently, we are working with Verizon Fios to provide high definition (HD) Local on the 8s in the future."

Question I would like answered is when or if Verizon will provide this capability.

0 Likes
chris601
Enthusiast - Level 2

I wish Verizon would fix this annoying issue - good grief -- it's almost 2015!!!!  To me, there is no real excuse for keeping it as it is for all that we pay.  I came from Comcast about a month ago and couldn't believe that I wasn't seeing "Local on the 8's" with local weather, plus a low-res feed for companion Weatherscan, when I made the switch to Verizon.   I like FiOS, the HD is spectacular, but good grief on the weather!   Some of us like that.  I'd rather turn on the TV than fire up the PC to look at local radar and get a quick forecast.   The WC widget has a radar, but too regional and not local and very small to see, plus it doesn't show movement so one can't see how the storms are moving.

I have a choice of RCN, Comcast, and Verizon FiOS in my area.  Verizon seems to be the "odd one out" with not having the necessary equipment for specific WC local weather on the 8's.   I've had both RCN and Comcast (FiOS only came around here within the past few years, so I decided to try it) and I just assumed (very bad idea) that "Local on the 8's" with a local feed with conditions from a nearby town was an integral part of the Weather Channel, where each provider was giving a local feed.   Bad assumption!   I've had the other two cable providers and just couldn't believe that Verizon hadn't ponied up for local weather functionality.    Weatherscan, at least, gives me a local radar that moves with showing the last three hours in time lapse.

You can't win.  You can only hope to break even.  Very similar prices amongst the three providers for equivalent triple-play packages.   Verizon has the best customer service around here, hands down by a huge margin, but in exchange for that you loose the full weather services which the other two have.

0 Likes