What channels are in the HD queue?
cxg331
Contributor - Level 1

Can anyone lay let us know what the HD queue for FiOS looks like?  Now that FSC has been rolled out, what other HD channels are in the works?

And, an entirely different question:

Has there been any talk about doing away with Standard Definition in the future?  With DVR boxes now capable of converting HD signals so that they may be played in a wide screen format on SD televisions, aside from the cost of equipment, what is holding back this change?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: What channels are in the HD queue?
Justin46
Legend

Well, to quote Joe Ambeault from today's Meet the Expert:

Question: "Are there any new HD channels on the horizon? I know our house would love Cartoon Network and G4 - and can do without Pets.TV et al."

Answer from Joe: "Oh most def... there are also 3D and SD channels coming.  You should see a steady addition of channels over the rest of the year... just in the last 1-2 months we have added ESPN 3D, TruTV HD, BET HD, FSC HD... with more to come.... including the ones you referenced."

Edit: here is a link to the entire thread:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Meet-The-Expert/Are-there-any-new-HD-channels-on-the-horizon/m-p/303791...

Keller, TX 76248

View solution in original post

Mike_VZ
Contributor - Level 3

Hello Cxg331,

We do not have a list of HD channels and dates of when they will emerge as they are subject to change. However there has been mention from our developers the next 3 HD channels will be sports related per this link:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Share-Your-Ideas-with-Verizon/Sports-Package-should-include-GolTV-HD-ES...

You will also see on the right side of the forum page Top Voted Ideas. Since we try to serve the largest demand from our customers make sure you vote on the ideas you find most important to you.

Thanks

0 Likes
cxg331
Contributor - Level 1

Mike,

Thanks for the info.

Can we reasonably expect he floodgates to open re: HD channel additions?  I realize that it was a capacity issue that kept Verizon from offering HD equivalents of the SD channels.  Has this been fixed? 

0 Likes
adkrasinski2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon needs to get these HD channels to be the best cable provider (available for all states😞

ABC News Now HD
Boomerang HD
Cartoon Network HD
CBS College Sports Network HD
CNN Headline News HD
E! HD
FEARnet HD
FiOS1 HD
FiOS TV Infomation HD
Fox Soccer Channel HD (FSC HD)
FUNimation HD
G4 HD
MTV2 HD
NECN HD
NESNplus HD
Nick 2 HD
Nick Jr. HD
Nick Toons HD
Ovation HD
OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network HD (OWN HD)
PBS Kids Sprout HD
SportsNet New York HD
TeenNick HD
Turner Classic Movies HD (TCM HD)
TV Land HD
TV One HD
Univision HD East

cxg331
Contributor - Level 1

I'd simply like to know whether or not Verizon has fully fixed the capacity issues which were preventing them from offering more HD channels, and whether or not that means expedited massive rollouts of new HD content.  If the capacity issues have been solved, there isn't a reason other than court battles (MSG HD) why the HD line-up should not mirror the SD line-up.  I find it interesting that HD v. SD is still an issue considering that HD televisions have been the standard for at least 3 years now.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Not yet. They are still working on it. They are wanting to upgrade to an IP based version of the TV which is still being worked on. The other thing needed to make it work is the new 1.9 IMG. That part just started rolling out. Areas of NY are currently being rolled out with the rest of the country to follow over the next couple of months. In all likelihood, all the upgraded needed will not be ready before the end of the year at the earliest. That would be my guess anyway. Very little information about all this is forthcoming from Verizon. But based on what little info is available, I'd expect it to take a while longer.

Justin46
Legend

Well, to quote Joe Ambeault from today's Meet the Expert:

Question: "Are there any new HD channels on the horizon? I know our house would love Cartoon Network and G4 - and can do without Pets.TV et al."

Answer from Joe: "Oh most def... there are also 3D and SD channels coming.  You should see a steady addition of channels over the rest of the year... just in the last 1-2 months we have added ESPN 3D, TruTV HD, BET HD, FSC HD... with more to come.... including the ones you referenced."

Edit: here is a link to the entire thread:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Meet-The-Expert/Are-there-any-new-HD-channels-on-the-horizon/m-p/303791...

Keller, TX 76248

YaakovMar
Enthusiast - Level 2

I would like to suggest getting PBS Kids Sprout HD as well. We found it visiting in the Palm Beach area on Xfinity and boy would we love to have it as well. Please let us know if there's any chance of this happening. Thanks!

0 Likes
cxg331
Contributor - Level 1

Any updates for capacity issues with FiOS?

Watching the Copa del Rey in SD is pretty awful.  That little 'HD' logo in the lower right corner is taunting away...

0 Likes