Re: 1.6.2 remaining schedule
eddiem10

Yes, VHO4 got the 1.6.2 update last night. 

Unfortunately, the  SD PQ is not fixed (i.e., the PQ is not stunning on the HD boxes when compare to the IMG 1.5.0).  Cannot believe I had to wait 9 months and get an update that doesn't fix the SD PQ,   To me, and I would think to most people, PQ is the most important parameter.  Also, I think the HD PQ is slightly worse with this update.  Why do they continue to process the signal when the selling point was that with FIOS, you get the signal exactly the way the broadcaster sent it.  Do we have to wait for 1.7.0 to get the 6 setting adjustment where one of the options will be no processing and we can finally get back to the "stunning" PQ.  Hope springs eternal.    

Eddiem

0 Likes
flyinga2

I too received the 1.6.2 IMG upgrade. SD PQ is measurably better, and tolerable. On the other hand HD PQ has definitely softened, particulary on the VOD services (FREE movies), I have not checked $ movies. I also believe the color pallette has shifted where default TV color settings are now too RED and so the TINT needs to moved to achieve more natural flesh tones. Additionally, images appear to be darker requiring adjustments of BRIGHT and CONTRAST. BLACK levels at default are too black with too much contrast.

ALL being told, this upgrade was a vast improvement, although I'm concerned HD has taken a bit of a hit.

0 Likes
matcarl
Master - Level 1

@Noam wrote:

Silver Spring, MD received the update overnight, as well.

Maybe it was just my eyes early this morning, but it looked to me like the picture quality on the SD channels was WORSE, not better!

Also, does anyone know what the "Settings option under "Television--> Modes--> Enable/Disable" does?

Message Edited by Noam on 04-02-2009 05:04 AM

When you are watching a channel, if you press the right arrow, it will bring up a menu that Verizon calls Modes. You can sort channels by categories. What you found under the settings will deactivate the right arrow from accessing it.
0 Likes
Noam
Enthusiast - Level 3

@matcarl wrote:

@Noam wrote:

Silver Spring, MD received the update overnight, as well.

Maybe it was just my eyes early this morning, but it looked to me like the picture quality on the SD channels was WORSE, not better!

Also, does anyone know what the "Settings option under "Television--> Modes--> Enable/Disable" does?

Message Edited by Noam on 04-02-2009 05:04 AM

When you are watching a channel, if you press the right arrow, it will bring up a menu that Verizon calls Modes. You can sort channels by categories. What you found under the settings will deactivate the right arrow from accessing it.

Then I have two follow-up questions:

1. Why can't it say that SOMEWHERE in the settings menus, instead of making us guess what it means?

2. Why would I want to disable the modes? If I disable them, does the right-arrow key do something else? Something MUCH cooler, perhaps?

0 Likes
matcarl
Master - Level 1
I have no idea why they didn't label it better, you're right, the average person wouldn't know what it is. The right arrow will do nothing if you disable it. I disabled mine because I never use Modes and I find the word Modes distracting when it shows up on top of the Info Bar while changing the channels.
0 Likes
Re: 1.6.2 audio drop out issue!
nuttyirishman
Enthusiast - Level 2
I have 1.6.2 as well, and am having similar audio drop out issues with live and DVR'ed programs.  There is no rhyme or reason as to what channnels, it just happens and is very frustrating.   I have a Samsung DLP HD TV hooked up with HDMI, and a Pioneer receiver     What should I do?   Thanks, Bob 
0 Likes
Re: 1.6.2 audio drop out issue!
Noam
Enthusiast - Level 3

@nuttyirishman wrote:
I have 1.6.2 as well, and am having similar audio drop out issues with live and DVR'ed programs.  There is no rhyme or reason as to what channnels, it just happens and is very frustrating.   I have a Samsung DLP HD TV hooked up with HDMI, and a Pioneer receiver     What should I do?   Thanks, Bob 

I have been having the same thing for a while, but I've noticed it mostly on FOX and ABC (Standard Def).

I suppose that's because those are the channels we records the most, and so the probablility is higher that it will happen on those channels.

From what I can tell, the dropout happens at a certain point. If you rewind and go back over it, the dropout happens at the same exact spot. However, if you don't go back quite as far (say 8 seconds back into a 10-second dropout), the audio is fine at that point.

I hope they get this fixed.

I have a Magnavox LCD TV, connected via HDMI to the QIP-6416 DVR.

I have not tried to connect it using Component cables to see if there is a difference.

However, I have another TV connected to the same DVR off the Composite video out, and I can't recall that one ever having an audio dropout issue.

0 Likes