1.9.1 update in NY
JustaGuy
Contributor - Level 2

When will the NY area get the 1.9.1 Update.  Will it be a year after every other area in the country like it was with 1.9, or maybe they could do a bit better this time around.

0 Likes
Re: 1.9.1 update in NY
TonyaD_VZ
Contributor - Level 3

Please be advised that these dates may change.

Tonya D.

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

Message is now showing up on the STB's in NYC area.  VHO 5.  1.9.1 is coming 6/26.

0 Likes
Holly1
Contributor - Level 3

What is the 1.9.1 update? How do you find out what updates you are getting? One of our HD STB's is coming on every morning with an update. The box is: QIP 7100 2. We were told by a customer service rep this morning to leave that STB on 24 hours a day and we won't have that problem. What a waste of electricity and since this box doesn't have time or channel numbers, supposedly to save energy, it seems this is a dumb remedy!!!!!!

Maybe you would be better off without the 1.9.1 update as some think that update is causing problems, such as an update coming on every morning.

Holly

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@Holly1 wrote:

What is the 1.9.1 update? How do you find out what updates you are getting? One of our HD STB's is coming on every morning with an update. The box is: QIP 7100 2. We were told by a customer service rep this morning to leave that STB on 24 hours a day and we won't have that problem. What a waste of electricity and since this box doesn't have time or channel numbers, supposedly to save energy, it seems this is a dumb remedy!!!!!!

Maybe you would be better off without the 1.9.1 update as some think that update is causing problems, such as an update coming on every morning.

Holly

1.9.1 is the replacement for the 1.9 level that Verizon distributed back in 2011/early 2012. Based on your location you should already have 1.9.1. You can easily check what level you have:

Menu ==> Settings ==> System Information

From other posts it appears that for some unknown reason Verizon is doing some resetting/updating each night. This is supposedly being done in error and will soon(?) stop. My STBs were all off Friday morning due to an update, but have not been affected since.

On the other hand, I have read that Verizon does "reset" the STBs every so often; this is supposedly to correct any problems that may have cropped up during nornal operation (I don't know how long you have been a FiOS TV customer, but the Motorola STBs - and maybe the Cisco STBs - just seem to quit working correctly at times and the best way to fix them is to simply reboot them).

By the way, your assumption that turning off the STBs will save energy is false. The Verizon STBs all keep almost all of the electronic powered up even when you turn the boxes off. This is the only way the DVR can record programs according to the schedule you have set, or to provide replay of the last two channels viewed even when you first turn the box on. Don't believe me? By a Kill-a-Watt monitoring device and monitor the power usage with the boxes turned on and then turned off, you will see only a very, very minor difference, if you can see it at all. If you really want to eliminate the energy use of the STBs, you need to pull the power plug! But of course after you do that, when you plug it back in and turn it on, you will go through the elongated startup process.

I leave my STBs on 24/7, it does not cost any more.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Holly1
Contributor - Level 3

Since I posted my remarks I remembered reading system information so I went there and saw the 1.9.1 , but thanks anyway. At times one of our other STB's has the widgets at the top of the TV screen freeze and not work and also once I had the TV channel info that comes on for a few minutes when you change channels freeze and stay on. I had read that many STB problems can be solved by rebooting the STB and I did this and solved those problems. This problem was so different that we didn't do that but will try that tomorrow morning on the one STB if Verizon update appears again

Since the rep said she did something to solve the problem,we will wait until tomorrow morning.

Thanks anyway for the info.

Holly

0 Likes