Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu

2TB on 7216?

BurtReynolds
Nickel Contributor
Nickel Contributor

2TB on 7216?

Message 1 of 3
(798 Views)

Can anyone confirm or deny if a 2TB drive will work with a 7216?  Most threads here and at DSL Reports are from people using 7232s, and unfortunately they seem to not exist in my area.  The guy at the Verizon store where I grabbed a 7216 today said there is a 1TB limit, but I've seen no mention of a 1TB limit on any message boards.  So what is the verdict from the field?

I have an extra 2TB WD Caviar Green drive that will do 3GB/s and I would just need to grab an eSATA enclosure for it.  Any reason this won't work as my "main" multi-room DVR storage?  According to DSL Reports, it seemed like the 3GB/s was necessary for multi-stream recording and that was the biggest spec to look for.  I know this isn't the best solution (a true A/V drive would be), but seeing I picked this up cheap a couple months back and even a 1TB A/V drive costs about twice what I paid for this one right now, I'd like to be able to expand my 7216 in the mean time.  Maybe when I get my hands on a 7232, drive prices will have come back to Earth.  I've read threads where people are using "Green" drives successfully, but it seemed like most were on 7232s.  Thanks for the help.

2 REPLIES 2
ILikeFIOS
Nickel Contributor
Nickel Contributor

Re: 2TB on 7216?

Message 2 of 3
(783 Views)

I have a WD 1.5 TB Cav Green 3 Gb/s that's working great on a 7216!

See my post here.

I have seen reports that 2 TB drives will work.  Let us know if you get it to work!

Hope that helps!

Keyboards
Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII

Re: 2TB on 7216?

Message 3 of 3
(766 Views)

In addition to the 3 GB/s there is another specification that is important.  That is the actual disc sustained throughput (not just the raw data rate).  IIR the requirement there is a minimum of 100 MB/s which most of the drives will meet.  Also if the drive has a sleep / power saving mode it can be a problem.

If a forum member gives an answer you like, give them the Kudos they deserve. If a member gives you the answer to your question, mark the answer as Accepted Solution so others can see the solution to the problem.
How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title