Re: 3rd Party Remote for QIP-7232?? Anyone?? Bueller??
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

I just pciked up an RCA RCRP05BR (ordered from Amazon @ $12.00) which works fine with my Sharp TV, Sony DVD player, Kenwood receiver and Verizon QIP7216 (same codes as the 7232).  Only complaint was for an error in their programming instructions for what they call GLOBAL VOLUME LOCK (volume control works with a single device rgardless of mode) and a quick email to their service group had a corrected proceedure in 2 days.

BTW - this is a 5 device remote.

0 Likes
nycplayboy78
Contributor - Level 1

Your best bet is the Logitech Harmony One remote it is the best remote out.....PERIOD!!!

0 Likes
3rd Party Remote for QIP-7232? - Harmony 650 Comments
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

barbshop wrote: " ... the Harmony 650 can usually be found for around 69.00 ... We ... have a blu-ray, AV receiver, Fios box, HD TV, CD Player ... The Harmony 650 ... controls all of the "activities" ... with a single button in almost all cases. I mean, want to watch a movie? The Harmony turns of the Blu-Ray, the AV Receiver (for sound), the TV, selects the right inputs on the TV and the AV receiver, and allows volume control through the receiver (rather than the TV) ... Couldn't be simpler ... "

I just purchased the 650 ($50.99 delivered via Amazon Prime) and started messing with it yyesterday (11 May 12) .  In general I can echo "barbshop" and sing its praises.  We also have 5 devices (TV, DVD-R, DVR, BluRay, AV receiver), most of which are brand new.  However one is  almost 20 years old, yet I found that the Harmony specifically supports all of them.  The Harmony site provides a location to check out which specific devices are supported so later problems can be avoided.  There are however some peculiarities so far in getting the "activities" (aka "macros" in computer-speak) straightened out.

Note first that the Harmony software does not appear to be compatible with Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit and IE 9 64 bit.  I haven't tried other browsers in Win 7 and simply set up the remote on an older XP SP3 box via Firefox.  Second, the USB drivers for the remote were loaded quite easily on one XP box, but did not get installed on a second XP SP3 box.  Also there was some inconsistent behavior when recognizing the USB-mounted device.  In the end I was able to connect and program the device, but there were a few glitches.

Next it appears so far that the remote itself, when used as a controller for each Individual device, can mimic almost every instruction on the original device remote.  This amounts to quite a few buttons for my old Harmon Kardon AVR 30 receiver, and also for the Samsung DLP.  If the user is not happy with a particular instruction or a particular button, the software permits essentially any modification (I have not had time to get very deeply into this but it appears fine so far).

Finally, one can set up "activities" (or "scenes" or "macros") that allow one-button control of, for example, watching a BluRay movie viewed on the TV with surround sound pumped through the AV receiver.  This used to involve 3 or 4 separate remotes (and one husband), but now involves either a husband, OR a wife, and one button on the Harmony.  The "macros" aren't perfect yet, but they are very close and getting better quickly. 

0 Likes
Re: 3rd Party Remote for QIP-7232? - Harmony 650 Comments - Update
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

Well, I liked this remote (the 650) enough to purchase an additional 700 for the main TV setup. These units are really quite fine if you are willing to spend the time to set them up to your own satisfaction.  The 650 now works the master bedroom TV and provides one-button service for TV, DVR, DVD, VCR, Blu-Ray,Netflix, etc.  The 700 controls the main TV and an additional 5 devices.  There certainly is a learning period with these devices but the end result is worth the time if you are prepared to endure a few strange happenings.

0 Likes
forya1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Logitech Harmony One does the trick for the whole entertainment system.  It is totally programable