4K HDR rental played in 1080P, any idea why? We paid for something we didn't receive.
scorp081
Enthusiast - Level 1

The other night my wife wanted to rent Uncut Gems. Any time we rent a movie we first look for what service (Xbox, Amazon, FiOS) has a 4K HDR version available to rent. We checked FiOS on demand first and it listed "4K HDR" for Uncut Gems so we went with it.

Unfortunately when the stream started it was in 1080P. I know it sounds a bit petty, but I feel like we didn't receive what we paid for. Had we known it would stream in 1080P we could have used a different rental service to get the 4K HDR edition.

We have an LG OLED65C7P television and watch plenty of 4K HDR content. The HDMI input the FiOS VMS1100 box is connected to is enabled/capable of 4K HDR. The local MoCA connection is also capable as I have other devices using MoCA to Ethernet adapters pulling >600Mbps (not at the same time of course) through the same coax runs back to our 1Gbps FiOS subscription.

Is the VMS1100 unable to receive a 4K HDR stream? If it isn't able to then the guide really should not show a title as 4K HDR, or at least warn you about your hardware, since it won't be able to stream it at that resolution. I dug through every menu I could find in the FiOS interface and all the resolution options seemed to top out at 1080P, with no option for me to tell the box we have a 4K HDR television.

Any thoughts on what I can do to avoid this in the future? Stick to other rental services for 4K HDR content, or look into swapping hardware?

0 Likes
Re: 4K HDR rental played in 1080P, any idea why? We paid for something we didn't receive.
scorp081
Enthusiast - Level 1

A bit more digging leads me to believe I need the VMS4100 box for this to work. That certainly makes me feel a bit stronger about the UI not providing a warning to the user when about to rent a title.

0 Likes
Re: 4K HDR rental played in 1080P, any idea why? We paid for something we didn't receive.
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@scorp08 wrote:

A bit more digging leads me to believe I need the VMS4100 box for this to work. That certainly makes me feel a bit stronger about the UI not providing a warning to the user when about to rent a title.

You are correct, the 1100 boxes are NOT capable of showing 4K programming. You do need the 4100 series to see 4K. Try calling customer service and see if they will post you a refund, you never know!

0 Likes