Re: 500GB Motorola QIP7232 HD DVR Coming soon!
REDLEDELDER
Enthusiast - Level 2

My DVR is going dead so I requested a new one. They sent me an older model (6414-1) than my current broken one (6414-2) rather than the new model rolling out now(7232). Called to get one of the new boxes swapped out for the old one they sent me. Answer... NO! you can not have a new box, they are for new customers only. It does not matter that I have cell phone, internet, Premium TV and home phone with them. Existing customers get the old broken crap (refurbished) and new customers get the shiny new higher capacity, better image quality boxes. Existing customers pay higher rates than the new Verizon customers and get less. Now is time to investigate switching providers for all my stuff. I wish I had found this thread before my first call to report my breaking DVR. I have already spoken to tech support, buisness services and a tech manager to no avail. I guess Verizon has no sense of existing customer loyalty.
0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

they are not for new customers only despite what they told you, but they are in limited supply, not avail in all areas, and are only available through a truck roll and a tech drop off ---- no way to get one mailed to you yet..   some people will want it bad enough to pay the 79.99 truck roll fee, or some people are patient enough to go on the waiting list since there aren't that many out there compared to the other boxes. 

verizon.com/fiostvcentral -> My TV -> Set Top Box -> bottom right banner ad about ur DVR > Click and fill in the info to be placed on the waiting list.    

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Amen Hubrisnxs.  Oh ... and just a point of correction to previous poster's commentary, there is nothing broken about a refurbished box (that's why it's refurbished0 and the image quality across all HD boxes is exactly the same.   Now ... as for higher capacity and a faster processor, well no argument there.

0 Likes
REDLEDELDER
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for the replys.

I am happy to hear from an expert that the video quality is the same with the new and the old generation of Motorola boxes, I was going by hearsay from another technical forum that the newer boxes were less prone to "macroblocking" type distortion that shows up a lot on fast motion HD content. As far as "refurbished" items, I would much rather have a new item rather than a previously broken one when I am paying premium rates and I am pretty confident that I am not the only one that would feel this way.

0 Likes
vzlpcicalvo
Enthusiast - Level 2

Some of the Verizon FiOS Stores will be carrying the New 7232 HD-DVR 500Gig (Limited Quantities) Unit but I was informed that there will be an upgrade fee of $40.00. But for those interested you can always call to confirm and order at their location.

Verizon Stores

REDLEDELDER
Enthusiast - Level 2

I will have to check at my local Verizon store to see if I can pay the $40 for a trade-in/upgrade.

Seems like it would be worth it.

0 Likes
Soundjudgment

All this talk about the fancy new 500Gig STBs is pretty useless considering the following software / firmware limitation:

I have a 7232 and the box STILL CANNOT PAUSE Live TV for more than 10 minutes. You would think they have dealt with this garbage, non-sensical time-limitation by now, but of course this is Verizon we are talking about here? So nothing about this new box as a DVR really interests me until they do something about it. I have firmware 1.8 and I can just about guarantee that version 1.9 won't offer Jack about this 10 minute Pause problem either. So it's back to good-ol' TiVO... ... again.

0 Likes
vinnyv07
Contributor - Level 1

Yep, I will wait until all the bugs are ironed out with the new DVR's. I would like a new DVR, but I will be fine with waiting on the list for the new model. I have no problems with my DVR now so I would like to keep it that way. I would like more drive space and more than that I would like to be able to hook my external hard drive up to the dvr. But not with my model otherwise I would keep it forever.

0 Likes
alden
Contributor - Level 1

Does anybody know is it possible to get 12 month free DVR from Verizon FIOS for existing customers who signed before for FIOS and got only 6 months free DVR offer? I signed in October and still has cuople months left with my 6 months free DVR promotion when I signed up, but now Verizon is giving 12 Months free - $120 savings... Is it worth to ask Verizon customer service of 6 months more of free DVR service?

Thanks...

0 Likes
donaldm823
Enthusiast - Level 3

I tried my best and called VZ new products and ordered 2 new QIP 7232.  The customer rep said no problem.  Well 2 DVRs showed up today (2 days delivery!) and they both were the old 6416-2 and both had serial #s older than my present DVRs.  A call to Tech Support, gave me the same answer here on the forum, that there is no way to order a specific model and that VZ policy was to issue the old ones until supply exhausted.  The 7232 are only going to new customers.  I returned the 6416 I just received and kept my old ones, as I know they work but with low capacity and some pixel loss.

I called the web site listed FIOS VZ store to see if I could exchange DVRs, and he confirmed that they only have the old 6416 in stock.  They would not be receiving the new ones until the 6416 supply is exhausted and he had no time estimate.  This is probably the only way to go to ensure you get what you really want

I am unhappy that VZ is giving new customers the good DVRs, and leaving their old customers in a bad way-I guess its just a money decision.  More importantly, there is nothing more that I can do as I certainly am not going to lie about a needed service call (and even that is throwing the dice).  I guess trying to follow the rules and being honest is not good enough to get some help!

There is a waiting list you can get on for the new DVR-accessed via FIOSTVCENTRAL,which I did but it may be a long wait!