A Working Fix for 7100 box + TV = Unresponsive remote ...
MeatChicken1
Contributor - Level 2

My Bedroom TV  had the problem where "interference" from the TV's screen caused the Moto 7100 box's Remote to be unresponsive for a minute or so after 1st turning it on..

I put paper on the boxes  IR sensor which helped but reduced the range & diectionality of the remote.

My box is on a dresser just under the TV, & slightly higher than the bed.

I Then ordered this item: 

http://www.irblaster.info/motorola_rx.html

Just received it.  Plugged it into the back of the box, & placed the new IR sensor underneath the cable box, about an inch back from the front face.

No more problems.

I don't know if it will help everyone w/this problem, but it solved mine.

Message Edited by MeatChicken on 04-20-2009 02:25 PM
Message Edited by MeatChicken on 04-20-2009 02:27 PM
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: A Working Fix for 7100 box + TV = Unresponsive remote ...
MeatChicken1
Contributor - Level 2

Actually a quick search of boards show that most people reporting this problem have LCD TV models, (including mine), although it can affect plasmas as well.  Most LCD's sold use  Florescent backlighting....

At any rate, the fix in th OP works great, & for about $15  ... So your above post about spending $100 or more, RF remotes and/or moving the box , are not the only solutions available.. That's why I posted the above info to begin with .

View solution in original post

0 Likes
DrP
If your TV is a plasma this is a common problem if the IR sensor is too close to the screen.  The flourescent light from the screen "swamps" the IR receiver to where it cannot "see" the IR signal.  There are remote IR receivers made that are designed to work near this type of screen but they cost around $100 not counting the cables.  Your only other solutions are to use a RF remote setup or get the Verizon box away from the screen.  I really like the RF Universal remote I am using now as you don't have to point the remote at anything!   
0 Likes
MeatChicken1
Contributor - Level 2

Actually a quick search of boards show that most people reporting this problem have LCD TV models, (including mine), although it can affect plasmas as well.  Most LCD's sold use  Florescent backlighting....

At any rate, the fix in th OP works great, & for about $15  ... So your above post about spending $100 or more, RF remotes and/or moving the box , are not the only solutions available.. That's why I posted the above info to begin with .

0 Likes
downfall21
Enthusiast - Level 2

@MeatChicken wrote:

My Bedroom TV  had the problem where "interference" from the TV's screen caused the Moto 7100 box's Remote to be unresponsive for a minute or so after 1st turning it on..

I put paper on the boxes  IR sensor which helped but reduced the range & diectionality of the remote.

My box is on a dresser just under the TV, & slightly higher than the bed.

I Then ordered this item: 

http://www.irblaster.info/motorola_rx.html

Just received it.  Plugged it into the back of the box, & placed the new IR sensor underneath the cable box, about an inch back from the front face.

No more problems.

I don't know if it will help everyone w/this problem, but it solved mine.

Message Edited by MeatChicken on 04-20-2009 02:25 PM
Message Edited by MeatChicken on 04-20-2009 02:27 PM

So are you offering free returns if this doesn't work?  The website does not look too promising.

0 Likes
mythtvuser

I e-mailed them and asked if they take returns.  They told me yes within 45 days of purchase.

0 Likes
DzWR
Contributor - Level 1
For the people experiencing this, have you tried to turn your picture settings to 'cool' and see if that helps? 
0 Likes
MeatChicken1
Contributor - Level 2

@downfall21 wrote:

So are you offering free returns if this doesn't work?  The website does not look too promising.

What exactly is the point of, 1st quoting my original post that I stated:

" I don't know if it will help everyone w/this problem, but it solved mine." ,

& then typing that remark above??

I'm just trying to be constructive & helpful, sharing a $15 solution that solved the problem for me .

You seem , what, jelous or angry, that people may just possibly not have to spend hundreds for the solution? I don't get it.

0 Likes
MeatChicken1
Contributor - Level 2

@DzWR wrote:
For the people experiencing this, have you tried to turn your picture settings to 'cool' and see if that helps? 

In my particular case, changing the picture settings didn't help. 

Some people where it does help may not like what they feel is an "unnatural setting" & may still look for alternatives as well. 

0 Likes
Lurker199

Ahh!  There it is.  The solution I have been looking for.  I cut a small piece of paper and taped it over the left side of the QIP 7200 IR receiver, over the "Message" and "On" lights.  The remote control for the DVR now works perfectly!

I have a 50 inch Panasonic Plazma.  With the TV set on, the remote control for the DVR was completely unresponsive,even with the DVR as far away from it as I could get with the HDMI cable.  2 STB's, 3 remote controls later, when I was just about ready to go back to cable, here is the answer for free!  The small peice of paper cut off the IR interference to the DVR so the remote works as well as the other 4 remote controls on my system.  I am so glad I found this post.  Why doesn't Verizon make this information available through there support?  After all, it is a known problem with this DVR box and is really Motorola's problem.  I like the idea of the remote IR sensor offered here and was willing to spend the money to get it.  But I don't need it.  A scrap of paper and scotch tape and it works great.

Thanks so much for this information.

0 Likes
downfall21
Enthusiast - Level 2
Has anyone else ordered this ir cable. And did it work for you?
0 Likes