Actiontec MI424WR as Router with GoCoax for MOCA and Keep TV?
qbirdee

Hi,

I've been searching around, and can't quite find the answer to this question.

I currently have an Actiontec MI424WR (red band, so gigabit ethernet ports) but am upgrading service to 200/200mbps.  I also for various reasons need to keep the triple bundle Internet/Phone/TV.

Problem is I don't have ethernet to a central part of house where current router is (Asus).  The Verizon tech also refused to run an ethernet line anywhere.

My thought then was to move the Actiontec next to ONT in basement, with Ethernet in to the WAN port.  It seems the GoCoax MOCA adapters are a great solution for a MOCA 2.5 network, so could have ethernet in off a LAN port on Actiontec to get the MOCA 2.5 network going.  And keeping the Actiontec lets me keep the DVR/Guide functionality.

My question though, is how do I hook up the coax to the actiontec and gocoax in basement so I keep both the TV/Guide and get the MOCA 2.5 network running?

Thanks for any advice!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Actiontec MI424WR as Router with GoCoax for MOCA and Keep TV?
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Your setup should be

ONT > ethernet > Actiontec WAN

ONT > coax > cable splitter in > outs to STBs and MoCA adapters. 

Actiontec LAN port will go connect to one of the MoCA adapters. And also coax from the cable splitter. 

Second adapter can connect to the coax where the Asus is now the ethernet to the Asus. 

View solution in original post

Viewer4
Enthusiast - Level 2

In my setup there is both a Coax cable and a Ethernet cable coming from the ONT (I assume, since both cables are coming from outside the house) into the router.  I recall the tech saying things had changed when he upgraded my install.  Previously I believe there was only the Coax into the Actiontec.

You didn't say which setup you have and what you intend to put on the other end of the GoCoax but assuming it's to something like a wireless router then you shouldn't need to hang a GoCoax off the Actiontec as the MI424WR has built-in MOCA 1.1 which is enabled by default.  In my case when I plugged an adaptor into the wall cable socket in another room it just lit up and connected directly to the Actiontec router over the router's coax port.

If you are using the GoCoax to extend the WAN port from the ONT to your router (I don't believe so since you said you are relocating the Actiontec next to the ONT), or intending to use the GoCoax to get MOCA 2.5 speeds instead of 1.1, I'm not sure that will work as the coax MOCA is already used by the Actiontec coax port and there appears no way to disable it.  I suppose you can try it out but I expect the GoCoax would just associate with the Actiontec coax port, assuming it's compatible.

In any case the main gotcha I ran into while getting MOCA working in my house was

making sure the coax socket in the wall is connected.  Some cable installers cut what they don't understand and I've had to rewire things in order to make sure the correct spigots are lit up.  Once it's connected, everything worked automagically.

Good luck!

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Your setup should be

ONT > ethernet > Actiontec WAN

ONT > coax > cable splitter in > outs to STBs and MoCA adapters. 

Actiontec LAN port will go connect to one of the MoCA adapters. And also coax from the cable splitter. 

Second adapter can connect to the coax where the Asus is now the ethernet to the Asus.