ActionTec Router with DirectTV HD240
JarrodBF

I am having issues with the router repeatedly and randomly blocking the HD240 when hard wired. I.E. I have the DVR and STB's plugged into a LAN ports on the router.  I know the ActionTec uses the MoCa connection to also return network services to FiOS STB's. Considering the HD240 from DirectTV is also capable of using coax for networking, has anyone tried this and will it work?  From my packet captures, it seems the router allows anything using a local address to pass traffic over any service port via coax vice service ports being blocked via LAN ports. That is why I would like to try it.  Plus it would free up a couple of ethernet drops for other things 🙂   If no one has any ideas, I will probably be trying this out soon anyways.

0 Likes
Re: Actiontec Router with DirectTV HD240
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@JarrodBF wrote:

I am having issues with the router repeatedly and randomly blocking the HD240 when hard wired. I.E. I have the DVR and STB's plugged into a LAN ports on the router. 

AFAIK, the HD240 does use MOCA networking, so you're not going to be able to network over coax between the HD240 and the Actiontec.

In fact, if you are connecting the HD420 to the same coax network as the Actiontec, you are going to have problems. 

The MOCA frequencies overlap those used by satellite TV.

• MoCA channels are located at different frequency bands between 875 MHz to 1500 MHz
  • Satellite TV uses 950-2150 Mhz.
0 Likes
JarrodBF

Okay, I knew there was a frequency range, but after your comments and some further research, it will not work.  Since MoCA runs 850-1500Mhz and DECA runs 500-850Mhz, the DirecTV recievers wouldnt see the ActionTec routers.  So unless I want to spend a couple grand on a real router, there is no way to convert. 

Thanks for the info and I dont know if this should be resolved or not.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@JarrodBF wrote:

Since MoCA runs 850-1500Mhz and DECA runs 500-850Mhz, the DirecTV receivers wouldn't see the ActionTec routers. 

I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish.  Since the DirecTv receivers don't "talk MOCA", they aren't going to communicate with the Actiontec over the coax. 

I know the HD420 has a conventional Ethernet jack, however, I could not find any documentation indicating the the HD420 uses that Ethernet connection.  If it does indeed support the Ethernet jack then you could of course run cat5 from the Actiontec to the HD420.  If running cat5 is not practical, there are a couple of other options.

0 Likes