Re: All DVR recording deleted .... again !
mind_as_well_
Enthusiast - Level 1

Me too! I pay $150 a month for this crap?!?! support was useless as always. I requested an escalation but when I asked what the response times and follow-up would be the tone quickly changes to I was **bleep**-out-of-luck and this case isn't going anywhere.

This is absolutely garbage. At least let me pospone an upgrade so I can binge watch the weeks worth of shows you just blew away.

Absolutely disgusted with this. I can't wait to switch back to RCN.

0 Likes
mind_as_well_
Enthusiast - Level 1

@TabbVA wrote:
it seems that some of us have a huge issue with the DVR that Verizon is unwilling to fix or even acknowledge. I'm happy for the credits, and I'm glad they are working on it, but I am miserable that our DVR can't record more than 6 or 7 shows before reaching capacity. I am wondering why I have this problem, and others in my community apparently don't. I don't understand why it can't be fixed by replacing my DVR box or flipping software switches somewhere. And I am outraged that every time I seek help, the Verizon representatives act as if this is the first time they have heard of the problem, -- and then not addressing the core issue. Their premier product seems to be horribly broken. And their customer service is awful.

How did you get credits? I asked support and she brushed me off saying I needed to contact billing and gave me a "24/7" phone number to call.....it was definitely not 24/7 and I have to call back tmrw.

0 Likes
TabbVA
Enthusiast - Level 2
Update: I finally got ahold of a sympathetic tech, who ordered a replacement quantum DVR set top box. That fixed my problem, at least for now (your mileage may vary). There may be some advanced technical explanation, but anyone who has owned a computer knows that strange recording behavior is a classic sign of hard disk failure. If you have this problem, and it isn't fixed with a few resets, ask, beg, or whine for a new set top box.
0 Likes
user9991

I've had the DVR think it's at 100% full a couple of times. A manual reboot (turn off, unplug, wait, plug back in) fixed it. If your DVR has this problem and is scheduled to record a new show, it will attempt to delete a recording to make room. Unfortunately, if it gets in this state, deleting a recording won't change it from 100%, so when it checks to see if it now has room for the new recording, it will realize it still doesn't have enough room and will delete another recording. And it may keep doing this until all the recordings are gone.

I may have a way to reproduce the 100% full problem. I don't have Quantum service, but I do have the new media server/client hardware. The DVR thinks it is 100% full when I watch a recorded show, delete it, and without leaving the "View Recordings" menu, watch and then delete a second show. Then the DVR shows that it is 100% full. If I leave the "View Recordings" menu between watching and deleting the 2 shows, it doesn't have that problem.

If everyone can keep an eye on the DVR capacity, they may be able to avoid losing all of their recordings. I just called Verizon and gave tech support this information. If someone else can try this and verify it, that may help solve this problem.

0 Likes
Branch1
Enthusiast - Level 3

APR 3.0.2 (the latest software update) should fix this issue (pushed out recently).

0 Likes
Jaycee74

This just happened to me the other day.  had over a years worth of shows, movies and there is nothing!  Sent to Tier 3 service to look into being able to get them back.  It is a software issue and not the box.  They do not think they can retrieve the DVR recordings tho.  I pay the DVR charge so I can watch when I want.  Hope there will be a nice credit on my bill!!!  

0 Likes
eryeal2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Best of luck on the credit - the max they would do for me is one month DVR service - something like $12 or so at the time.   Ridiculous considering you have years worth of shows saved that are gone.    It should be a minimum one year DVR service credit when something like that happens.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

DVR is considered temporary storage.

If the box fails (electronics do fail), then you will lose all your data.

0 Likes
eryeal2
Enthusiast - Level 2

@CRobGauth wrote:

DVR is considered temporary storage.

If the box fails (electronics do fail), then you will lose all your data.

1.  Verizon has stated prior that this was a software issue, not a hardware issue

2. Verizon does not replace the box - if they thought it was an electronics failure, shouldn't they replace it?

3.  If you lease a new car after a year, and the engine stops working - does the car dealer go "Well, all cars fail, and when they do, you won't be able to go anywhere.  A car isn't a permanent means of transportation anyway."  That makes as much sense as what you just wrote.   We are renting a box, and it's a newer box - it's not expected to fail in such a short period of time.    It's advertised each year as holding more and more for one to record - implying that it's not as "temporary" as you lead us to believe.   What's the point for Verizon to advertise it can hold 100+ programs if it's "temporary"?

0 Likes