Anyone Else Not Get New Message Indicator in the Messages Section of the Menu Screen?
MiMeQu21
Contributor - Level 3

I have been on the phone with Technical Support numerous times and they don't seem to have an answer to this question, so I thought I would see if anyone else has experienced this.  And before anyone suggests this, technical support's answer has been to pull the plug on the box to reset it and this has not worked.

The issue is with the "Messages" portion of the "Menu" screen.  I know Verizon does not offer a light on your STB to let you know you have a message.  Instead, you are supposed to be able to go into the Menu screen and see the word "NEW" next to "Messages" along with the picture of an envelope to let you know you have a new message. 

For whatever reason, I don't get either of these indicators.  I never thought I had a message until I was at a friend's house and they went into their Menu and they had "NEW" next to their Messages along with the envelope indicator.  I went home and saw that I had about five messages in my Messages box, some of which were very old.

While this is not a huge deal, it still bugs me that Verizon has no answer.  I thought my STB may have an issue, but other than this, they work fine.  (By the way, neither of my STB give me either indicator). 

So I was just wondering if anyone else had this issue, and if so, how did you get it fixed?  Did Verizon have to come out and do something, did Technical Support need to do something on their end, or did you need to get new STB?  One time Technical Support tried to tell me that it may be an issue with Fios in my area, but that theory was shot down when I went to my friend's house.  I have never gotten either indicator, and I have had Fios for almost one year.

I would appreciate any information you have.  Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Anyone Else Not Get New Message Indicator in the Messages Section of the Menu Screen?
VZ_Kim
Contributor - Level 2

Keyboards,

Thanks for keeping me on my toes, I did some research with our product team and this is what I found out:

There's no longer a visual indicator on the STB itself. When a customer has a message in "messages", it is only displayed through IMG on the TV itself. Typically when the customer presses "guide" on the remote control, a pop-up window will display in the middle of the screen alerting the customer there is a message in "Messages". This pop-up window feature only works on QIP 6200, QIP 6416, QIP 2708, and QIP 2500-3 STB’s only. On the 7000 series STBs the message alert will appear by hitting Menu on the remote control and the word "new" will appear next to Messages.

Keep an eye out  for a newer version of IMG being rolled out in the next few months. It includes fixes to some of the known issues with STBs.  Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Anyone Else Not Get New Message Indicator in the Messages Section of the Menu Screen?
matcarl
Master - Level 1

The New Message Envelope Indicator stopped working for me about a month ago. I have to go in everyday to check it.

0 Likes
MiMeQu21
Contributor - Level 3

Since we are not getting a lot of response here, I will close out this thread.

0 Likes
VZ_Kim
Contributor - Level 2

Hi MiMeQu,

I'm sorry the message indicator on your set top boxes aren't working correctly. The indicator in the menu and the visual  indicator on the front of the stb should both alert you of messages.  I'd like to get your account information so I can check which models and version number stb's you have. I can also re-initialize the boxes to see if that helps. Please fill out the form at this secure link. Please include the name, address and phone number on the account. Thanks.

https://www22.verizon.com/content/verizonsupport/

0 Likes
matcarl
Master - Level 1

Kim, the message light on the front of the STB was purposely disabled by Verizon, they said they might add it back in the future. It's not supposed to work. As far as the message envelope, it's funny how a lot of people aren't getting it anymore. It's not confined to just his box.

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@VZ_Kim wrote:

Hi MiMeQu,

The indicator in the menu and the visual  indicator on the front of the stb should both alert you of messages. 

emphasis added in quote

It would be nice if the Verizon employees had the correct information when posting here.  The indicator light hsa never been operational since I got TV service 3 1/2 years ago (as Matcarl said).  The reason given by Verizon was "It confused too many users when the light came on and created excess calls to the FSC".

As for the envelope in the menu, mine used to work but also stopped working on my DVR (7216) about a month ago.  To confuse matters my 2500s (2 of them) still show the envelope when there is a message.

VZ_Kim
Contributor - Level 2

Keyboards,

Thanks for keeping me on my toes, I did some research with our product team and this is what I found out:

There's no longer a visual indicator on the STB itself. When a customer has a message in "messages", it is only displayed through IMG on the TV itself. Typically when the customer presses "guide" on the remote control, a pop-up window will display in the middle of the screen alerting the customer there is a message in "Messages". This pop-up window feature only works on QIP 6200, QIP 6416, QIP 2708, and QIP 2500-3 STB’s only. On the 7000 series STBs the message alert will appear by hitting Menu on the remote control and the word "new" will appear next to Messages.

Keep an eye out  for a newer version of IMG being rolled out in the next few months. It includes fixes to some of the known issues with STBs.  Hope this helps.

0 Likes
MiMeQu21
Contributor - Level 3

I guess the key to getting people to post is to mark the thread as solved!

I have the 7216 (or whatever number that is) STB.  It seems odd that on some boxes, you get a pop-up message, while on others, you need to go into your Menu to see if you have new messages.  If you are not given an indicator that tells you that there is a new message, and you don't have to go into your Menu screen that much, it seems to me that you will be missing some messages.

Anyway, for me, it does not matter.  As I posted originally, I do not get a message indicator that tells me I have a message waiting.  I don't get an envelope or the work "new" next to my messages in the Menu screen.  I don't get pop-ups as well.  (I did get a pop-up or two when I first got Fios, but I don't get them anymore).

So basically, I have to make it a point to periodically go into my Messages to see if I have a new one.  As I said, this is not a huge deal.  It is just annoying.  I have had messages sitting in there for a month telling me about channel changes.

I have also heard about Verizon shutting off the light because it confused people who didn't realize what the light was for?  Really?  Every other cable or satellite company that I have had has used this method, and it seemed to work fine.  A simple solution would be to re-enable the message light indicator but give people the option to disable it.  That may be easier said than done, but if that is possible, that would seem like an easy fix, since it doesn't appear that the way Verizon is doing it now is working.

MiMeQu21
Contributor - Level 3

The last couple of times we have gotten messages from Verizon, I have gotten the "New Messages" indicator in the Menu screen.  Hopefully they fixed whatever the problem was (knock on wood).

Closing the thread.

0 Likes
matcarl
Master - Level 1

The New Messages indicator is now working again with the new 1.8 upgrade. You can now see an envelope icon with the word "New" next to the Messages option in the main menu.

0 Likes