Approved eSATA hard drives
MPP3
Enthusiast - Level 2

The list of "approved" eSATA hard drives needs to be updated. The following three Western Digital drives are listed:

• Western Digital – WDBACS5000EBK-NEVZ – 500GB
  • Western Digital – WDBACS0010HBK-NEVZ – 1TB
  • Western Digital Retail – WDBABT0010HBK-NESN – 1TB

These don't even exist on the Western Digital site any longer, much less on Amazon, Best Buy, etc. I did find one on the Newegg site for just under $500, yikes. They can also be found at sites that would probably be considered less than reputable.

The Verizon eSATA support site does state "Customers choosing to install other drive types will assume the risk of compatibility with FiOS DVR and Verizon will not assist with compatibility or performance issues should they arise." With the outdated list (or UN-availability) of the supported drives, what are we supposed to do?

DVR model Cisco 435 HD

0 Likes
Re: Approved eSATA hard drives
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Couple of things:

1) THis is a peer to peer support forum. SOmone may post what models they have had success with.

2) Given the fact that push is to move people to Quantum that currently does not suport external drives, I would guess there is little incentive on Verizon side to keep list updated.

MPP3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for that!

So my question should have been: Other than the Verizon supported eSATA drives

• Western Digital – WDBACS5000EBK-NEVZ – 500GB
  • Western Digital – WDBACS0010HBK-NEVZ – 1TB
  • Western Digital Retail – WDBABT0010HBK-NESN – 1TB

has anyone used and had success with any other eSATA drives with the Cisco 435HD box?

0 Likes
navydavy87

If you get a response could you please share it, I'm looking for the same thing.  I can understand Verizon wanting to puch people to Quantum however, the way my condo was wired does not give us the ability to move to Quantum.  I would if I could but I can't so I think Verizon should be more helpful.  My only other option is to move to DirecTV.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

How does condo wiring impact ability to go with quantum?

If you currently have Verizon stbs, you can replace them with quantum.

They use the same cabling.

0 Likes
JeffCG

I had a Western Digital approved drive which I accidently damaged so I emailed their tech support about the approved drives since they no longer make the ones on the list. They said the only unique thing about the drive is the eSATA interface so they would expect any eSATA drive to work. Since I lost all of my recorded shows on my full 1T drive anyway and looking for an eSATA drive and what they sell for I decided not to bother but knowing that any eSATA drive should work might be helpful if you want to try.

0 Likes