Are there any plans to add HDMI CEC?
sjm817
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've searched and this has been brought up many times.  Out of everything in my home theatre setup, only one device does not support CEC and that is the FiOS 7232-2 DVR.  This pretty much ruins the integration and causes my Sony receiver to switch to the wrong input since it can not "see" the DVR.  

Bringing your equipment up to date and adding CEC would be a very welcome feature.  Is there a site where I can make product improvement suggestions?

Thank You

Re: Are there any plans to add HDMI CEC?
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Couple of comments:

1) 7232 is rather old hardware (at least 5+ years if memory serves).

2) My guess is if they would support it at all, it would be the newer Quantum hardware.

3) From what I read, it does not appear that any STB manufacturer supports it (at least they are listed for common supporters)

4) My assumption is that it is a small number of users that wnt this (first I have seen anyone ask). I'm guessing it doesn'tmake business sense for Verison to add this. Payback is probably pretty low.

0 Likes
sjm817
Enthusiast - Level 2

1) I dont know how old the 7232-2 is but other than Quantum, I believe it is the latest DVR that Verizon offers

2) I might even be willing to do that upgrade if they supported it and if the cost was reasonable

3) The only one I know of is Direct TV (after demand from their subscribers)

4) Do a search on this forum for "HDMI CEC".  It has been asked for.  It is a heck of a lot more useful than the silly "widgets" that they have in the devices.  IMO 🙂  Verizon has added a lot of nice functionality through the years, but this is a gaping hole.  

CEC is not new and the only device I have that has HDMI and doesnt support it is the FiOS DVR,

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@CRobGauth wrote:

Couple of comments:

1) 7232 is rather old hardware (at least 5+ years if memory serves).

2) My guess is if they would support it at all, it would be the newer Quantum hardware.

3) From what I read, it does not appear that any STB manufacturer supports it (at least they are listed for common supporters)

4) My assumption is that it is a small number of users that wnt this (first I have seen anyone ask). I'm guessing it doesn'tmake business sense for Verison to add this. Payback is probably pretty low.

The 7232 is not quite that old (at least as far as release date.  Some saw it in 2010, but most later).  CEC is useful, but not so much for STB.   The STB don't actually go off.

When I turn off a CEC device, e.g. my blu-ray, my TV, switches back to the STB showing me the verizon icon screensaver. 

0 Likes
Cerebud
Enthusiast - Level 2

No, it's very useful. My TV doesn't see the STB, so it it always switches to TV input instead of STB input when I turn the TV on.  It's the most annoying thing and nobody staying at my house understands why it does this. It's because the TV doesn't see my STB. I love CEC while using my PS4 and AppleTV. Most people that own these devices know what CEC is and want it to work as advertised, but Verizon makes it difficult (it actually makes me want to be a cord cutter).

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

What model STB and TV do you have?

I have VMS/IPC and TV doesn't have a problem with them.

But I also never had a problem when I had 7XXX series STBs etiher.

I have all Samsung TVs.

0 Likes
XDM45guy
Enthusiast - Level 3
I hope not, I have a harmony remote and don't need it. The Samsung TV and pioneer receiver do not play nice and it was not worth the bother trying to use hdmi arc .
0 Likes
hev59
Enthusiast - Level 1

Since few of the responders on the topic of CEC know it is more than just syncing the remotes I'm guessing Verizon has no push to add this feature. I'm thinking cord cutting may be the way to go.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Cec can't be added to old boxes.  I don't know if anyone has seen the new ip based boxes that are in testing and can talk about them (NDA).

0 Likes
cardcreek
Enthusiast - Level 1

ditto

fiber optics and  equipment which is less than enjoyable when having to manually scroll to source devices.  Roku works, Firestick works, DVD player works.

but not Motorola STB

thanks for posting and raising the issue

0 Likes