Re: Are You Happy with your FIOS?
TVee

I switched from Comcast & Verizon DSL to the Fios bundle a couple weeks ago and thought I did the right thing.   But currently ... not so sure - for the following reasons.  My older model VCR and newer model VCR/Digital recorder combo can only be used as playback units and NOT recorders --  according to the technician who installed my equipment, I cannot record with them.  RATS !  I am not happy with the "free" DVR since I have to empty it every couple days to make room for more programming (it doesn't hold many gigs).   AND - worst problem of ALL is:

I was told before installing that I'd be able to continue to use my computer as before (my computer served AS my tv in my computer room - and WAS my DVR, on which I could watch, and schedule recordings of programs and preserve them on DVD).  But the DVR provided by Verizon has very limited recording space and I cannot transfer to DVD from it to preserve ANYthing !!  AND to make matters worse, my computer can only be used with the Verizon remote to move slowly from one channel to next, up and down (I cannot even select channels by number with it) and I cannot access my Media Center Guide, cannot record programs .... NADA !!   My Windows Media Center program is rendered U.S.E.L.E.S.S. !   I'm not a happy camper.

Bottom line, if you do not now have Windows Media Center on your computer, you may be thrilled with FIOS.  But me, not so much.  ;(

p.s.  ignore the edit counter below.  It lies (either that, or I can't type)  😉

Message Edited by TVee on 11-20-2008 10:46 AM
Message Edited by TVee on 11-20-2008 10:47 AM
Message Edited by TVee on 11-20-2008 10:48 AM
0 Likes
Patti
Enthusiast - Level 2

TVee

Have you tried hooking up your DVD recorder VCR anyway? What are you trying to record?  Some channels block DVD recording. I have a Zenith DVD recorder and a Sony VCR . I use the S-video cord from my 6416 DVR to go to the DVD recorder and the HDMI cord to the TV. I've recorded to DVD live shows and shows stored on the DVR from CBS,NBC,ABC,Fox,CW,USA,Halmark,BBCAmerica, Lifetime and Spike. I usually edit the commercials out as I watch from DVR and save them on RW discs till they come out on DVD. But I've used +/-R discs also.

I have not tried to record to DVD any of the HBO/Showtime ect channels since I've been on Fios, I don't have them. But I could NOT record them or TNT primetime shows(The Closer) when I was with Brighthouse. I was told that those channels did not allow it and sent out a Copy Never Signal and I would need a DVR instead. I did get a specific this show is blocked message with them.  The VCR is hooked up to a standard STB box in the other room. I just use the coax connection with it. My husband thought having to change the AV input on the tv was too much trouble when it was hooked up with the RCA connections.

(please ignore the weird extra spacing above I don't know why it's doing that. It's not on my original and the edit isn't correcting it)

Message Edited by Patti on 11-20-2008 01:35 PM
Message Edited by Patti on 11-20-2008 01:37 PM
Message Edited by Patti on 11-20-2008 01:41 PM
Message Edited by Patti on 11-20-2008 01:43 PM
0 Likes
paulnortness

I was at first....but I have been very frustrated with FIOS lately.

I had Comcast digital cable with Verizon DSL. We got the FIOS internet setup about a year ago. It worked flawlessly...until the Verizon tech came to hook up the TV. Now, my wireless connections disconnects constantly. About half the time, I get "Currently Unavailable" on HD channels...a problem I was told by the FIOS techs was resolved. The DVR just randomly stops working. The SD signal is all wonky...the sound goes up and down in volume on it's own.

I am beginning to really regret that contract.

0 Likes
rkkeller

I was super happy with Fios until this last update left all my SD channels looking blurry with some

channels almost unwatchable.

My only other complaint would be the limited space on the HD DVR.  I have 100++ HD channels

and my DVR can fill to 100% every night if I record more than a couple shows.

0 Likes
yenracd
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm very happy with the package I have.  I received some great extras when I signed up since it was new to our area.  I'm paying a lot less than I did when I had basic cable, Verizon phone service and DSL through Verizon.  I save approximately 15 dollars a month.  (Which depends on what you sign up with...some of my neighbors have saved a lot more than that!)  Most problems I have encountered have been fixed by just shutting off the router, and pulling out the electric cord from the back of the router, waiting a few seconds and then plugging it back in and turning the router back on, and letting it power back up.  I've had an intermittent problem with losing the Fios TV picture, internet and phone all at the same time, but I get all of it back within 5 minutes.  I'm not to sure what is up with that, so I'm going to call tech support this week and inquire about that.  I haven't had any trouble with their customer service department or their billing department (be patient, it took a while to straighten mine out each month because of all the great freebies I got when I signed up), but the basic billing has been fine....just make sure you accept the package deal agreement online when your installation is finished!

One other thing...our home had the pulse dialing feature and our Fios installer didn't do the switch over to touch tone, so since we had it installed on a Friday and didn't realize we couldn't use our phone to dial out, we weren't able to have this fixed over the weekend and had to wait until Monday.

Our picture is A LOT better through the Fios service.  We always had a bad picture through Comcast with snow, shadow images, etc.  The picture with Fios has been crystal clear!  I would definitely recommend getting it even with the few problems I have encountered.  I'm happy that I made the switch!  Smiley Happy

Message Edited by yenracd on 11-23-2008 07:23 PM
0 Likes
jamieva
Contributor - Level 1

Overall I'm pretty happy.  I've had tv/internet through Fios for 15 months now.  I had all types of problems with Comcast previously with my internet connection dumping for no reason, On demand not working, pixellating channels etc.  Never had that problem in 15 months with Fios.  Plus as a sports fan I get ESPNU which Comcast does not offer, as well as espn360.com

My only complaint would be these:

Not getting NBA League Pass and NHL Center Ice until after the seasons started, thus losing the opportunity to order these at the lower pre season prices that the leagues offer.

0 Likes
mpruet
Coming from Comcast, almost a year ago, I am very happy with FiOS.  Right now there are some issues with our new HD Multi Room DVR, but hopefully we will be able to figure those out and continue to be satisfied.
0 Likes
eileengilliland
By and large, I'm happy with Fios, but The Guide is terrible, and what has happened to early morning TVLand?  At 6:00am this past Monday morning, the channel guide said Star Trek, and what I got was an informercial.  Don't we have enough infomercials already?  It has happend two mornings in row -- today and yesterday.  What is going on, and why aren't customers being informed of program changes.  The Guide clearly says Star Trek 6:00am, Scrubs 7:00am, but the morning programming is a screwed up mess.  What gives and why?
0 Likes
CSimpson
Contributor - Level 1

I *LOVED* FiOS when I first got it, but the amount of joy I have for it slowly decreases every time I try to watch TV.  Internet is pretty solid, Phone is good, but the TV service just keeps getting worse and worse every time I turn on the TV.  I've had FiOS for about 7 months now and I'm slowly regretting making the switch from DirecTV.  DirecTV had its' share of hardware problems, but FiOS is quickly catching up to DTV with the problems I've had.

Reasons for unhappiness?

- IMG 1.6.0 breaks the Home Media DVR.  "Unable to Locate Hub" messages just make me cringe.

- HD-DVR (motorola 6xxx) requires frequent reboots due to random lockups.

- Remote DVR playback sometimes gets confused and automatically starts back at the beginning of show.

- Guide is frequently incorrect or just too vague.

- I feel a little bit duped that Verizon releases all of these new "HD" channels, but now I have to upgrade my HD package *again* to view them.

- HD-DVR randomly resets itself during recording, so some shows are split in two.

- VOD (Video On Demand) only works when it feels like it.  Either rebooting router or STB will only fix it, but still annoying.

- HD-DVR fills up way to quickly.  Would really like the option for more storage!!! 

I swear, I feel like I reboot either my SD-STBs, HD-DVR, or Actiontec router once every few days.  I often wonder if the Verizon executives have FiOS and experience these issues in their own homes?  How could they be proud to release a product this buggy?  I'm still amazed that Verizon hasn't released a fix for the "Unable to Locate Hub" bug.  That would be a Priority 1 bug in my book.  I'm not sure what to do at this point.  😞

0 Likes
vinnyv07
Contributor - Level 1

- IMG 1.6.0 breaks the Home Media DVR.  "Unable to Locate Hub" messages just make me cringe.

- HD-DVR (motorola 6xxx) requires frequent reboots due to random lockups.

- Remote DVR playback sometimes gets confused and automatically starts back at the beginning of show.

- Guide is frequently incorrect or just too vague.

- I feel a little bit duped that Verizon releases all of these new "HD" channels, but now I have to upgrade my HD package *again* to view them.

- HD-DVR randomly resets itself during recording, so some shows are split in two.

- VOD (Video On Demand) only works when it feels like it.  Either rebooting router or STB will only fix it, but still annoying.

- HD-DVR fills up way to quickly.  Would really like the option for more storage!!! 

I'm still amazed that Verizon hasn't released a fix for the "Unable to Locate Hub" bug.  That would be a Priority 1 bug in my book.  I'm not sure what to do at this point. 

Talk about a post that is right on the money!! I really don't think anything else needs to be said as far as the things that are happening with the dvr. I hope that Verizon people read and print this one because above is a great list of what needs to be fixed.

I have to second the feeling about the lack of a fix for the  "Unable to Locate Hub" bug. I understand things need to be tested, but lets get that one fixed. It happened three times in a row to me last night when I was trying to watch a 2 hr movie. The DVR is not working when hooked up to a another HD receiver. I remember reading in this forum that a new release should be coming out in 2 weeks to fix the nag. It should be priority one in V's book. It is already taking too long.

I pressed DVR in the morning and there are new features added to the DVR. You now could set the DVR by phone! I really do think that is cool, but all of the effort should be into fixing some of the above problems because it really will drive people away quickly.

0 Likes