Re: Arris VMS1100 slow warming & remote lag
blueribb
Contributor - Level 1

It's not a stupid question. I actually did that yesterday to see if there is any difference in lag when using the original remote as opposed to the Harmony. In DVR mode, when I select scheduled recording or view recordings, there is up to a 5-second delay before the info is generated using both remotes. This delay varies from time-to-time. I see the command is received because of the blinking red LED but it can take a few seconds or more to react.

I'm not referring to Infrared lag from the remote control but system lag from the Verizon box. It's something I have learned to live with but it feels good to vent and I guess this is the place to do it.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@blueribb wrote:

It's not a stupid question. I actually did that yesterday to see if there is any difference in lag when using the original remote as opposed to the Harmony. In DVR mode, when I select scheduled recording or view recordings, there is up to a 5-second delay before the info is generated using both remotes. This delay varies from time-to-time. I see the command is received because of the blinking red LED but it can take a few seconds or more to react.

I'm not referring to Infrared lag from the remote control but system lag from the Verizon box. It's something I have learned to live with but it feels good to vent and I guess this is the place to do it.

Well then I guess I don't feel quite so stupid... Smiley Very Happy

Just for grins I just did a DVR button press, took maybe 2 seconds to display this time, so somewhat slower than before. But I have never, ever seen 5 seconds, not even close. One thing that does appear to introduce variability when displaying the list of recordings is the display of the icons, I think they have to be downloaded from a Verizon server somewhere in the cloud each time. I wish we had an option to disable the display of the icons (really pretty much anywhere and everywhere, they contribute absolutely nothing useful IMO), I think things would work better.

I still suggest a reboot, either via the Menu or pull the power. Beyond that, I am pretty much out of ideas. Sorry, would like to help.....

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)

Mendes9
Contributor - Level 1

Same problem here, it's the point where I just push down arrow, to get the lower screen channel information and then use up and down buttons to change channel.  Verizon, is this being worked on for future software upgrades?

0 Likes
shosoc00
Enthusiast - Level 1

Just an FYI, I inquired about remote lag with Fios Tech support, they indicate that there is a known memory management issue causing the problem and there is a planned fix in the next release of software.  He did not know when that would be, however.  Hang in there peeps.

NotarySojac
Enthusiast - Level 3

The intermittent remote lag on our new Arris VMS1100 is excruciating. I thought the lag on the previous Motorola was bad but this is ridiculous. 

We had turned off all the intrusive frufru - Recommendations, Promotions, Interactive TV, Guide Banner, but we're still seeing it.

The lag is not constant. We can have snappy response for a quarter hour or so, then suddenly no matter how many times we mash the remote's buttons nothing happens. We can see the LEDs that indicate the command has been received flicker with every press but nothing happens. Then after a minute or two the DVR/VMS responds just fine with minimal delay. Then a half hour later the DVR is unresponsive again. 

Thankfully, the Arris does not queue up the button presses then execute them all at once like the Motorolas did. We deleted shows and canceled series all the time with those DVRs because the default menu choice in almost every case is Cancel or Delete.

We have had exactly the same experience with the 2-button remote that came with the Arris, the 4-button remote that came with the Motorolas and our Harmony 880 universal remote.

I'm glad to see someone had mentioned that this is a known issue so hopefully a system update will resolve the Arris's memory management issue. Maybe then we will also get to see the 2 weeks of upcoming programming without waiting ten minutes for it to populate...

0 Likes