Re: Audio sometimes missing on favorite channel
epstewart
Enthusiast - Level 3

@cece49 wrote:

Well, here I am again.   Technician never showed.  I don't know if any 'configuration' was done to get Cisco / Motorola in sinc.  I have again been losing audio on WETA UK PBS Channel 474.   Once again called into Verizon and once again, they are sending another Tech.  Once again, I have to take time off to wait for someone to show up who can't fix this problem.

One thing I was told that's different is that Motorola equipment can be ordered from Billing, refurbished, that is.  If they can't fix this problem I am cancelling Verizon FiOS TV and going with another provider.  Incredible that all these people that work for the largest provider CAN'T FIX THIS PROBLEM!!!

I have been in regular touch with snjnova, who has posted to this thread. He has managed to get his Cisco gear swapped for Motorola. He wants to test for a week or so before telling Verizon the problem was solved ... if it was, that is. If his problem goes away with Motorola, he has hopes Verizon will be willing to provide Motorola equipment to others who've complained of the same trouble ... no guarantees, though. We will have to wait and see. As for ordering refurbished Motorola gear from Billing, can you give more details about how to do it?
0 Likes
snjnova
Enthusiast - Level 3

I think what helped get their attention was filing a complaint with my county office that regulates cable companies. So far (it's Wed night and the box was replaced Monday afternoon) all is OK. The techie who brought us the Motorola box said he thought they were all refurbs, although these both look new.

Some additional data points (from when we had the Cisco boxes):

1. We haven't started watching WETA UK (474) and did not have a problem the few times we tried it. That is not too reliable an indicator as WETA HD (526) worked about half the time.

2. We recorded a few shows on MPT (480) and had a problem with one - part way through the sound got fuzzy, the video jumped, and the sound dropped. Then a few minutes later it jumped and the sound returned.

3. A neighbor using a Scientific Atlanta DVR on Cox has had audio problems on 474. This is relevant because Cisco acquired SA a few years ago so our Cisco boxes are essentially updated/renamed SA boxes.

I will post an update if the problem occurs on the Motorola box or after a week of no problems.

0 Likes
snjnova
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, it's been over a week with the Motorola boxes and so far 526 has had sound every time we've tuned there- and the recordings have also had sound. So I guess the solution for those with this problem is to escalate your ticket to the point that someone with sufficient authority can place the order to swap your Cisco boxes for Motorola. It would be nice for everyone if someone in the engineering group could actually get Cisco/Scientific Atlanta to fix the problem.

0 Likes
epstewart
Enthusiast - Level 3
This is good news indeed. A week without problems is good enough to convince me. Now, what was your path to victory, and how can the rest of us emulate it? Do you think Verizon would accommodate us based on your case?
0 Likes
snjnova
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'd say to call and tell them that you know of another customer whose problem was solved with the swap. If you don't get results, ask for a supervisor. Tell them to look here in the forum and find my ID - and track my case(s). Then call your local government agency office that handles this - either consumer protection or the agency that does cable regulation.

0 Likes
epstewart
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi, I'm the original poster. The problem I complained about has suddenly cleared up!

The problem was that my Cisco CHS 435 DVR was frequently losing audio on channels 474 and 526, which in the Baltimore area are WETA UK and WETA HD, respectively. Those two channels out of Washington DC come from the same source, WETA, a PBS station. AFAIK, they were the only channels that were dropping audio.

But as of a few days ago, the audio on both channels has always been normal on both live TV and recordings.

I have not changed a thing insofar as my Verizon installation or hookup. I can't tell that there has been any update to the Cisco firmware, so that doesn't seem to be the explanation.

I have a friend who lives nearby, who had the same problem. He says the problem has now disappeared for him, too.

I don't really know what the explanation is, but being able to use these two channels is very much appreciated!

0 Likes
andyslimo1
Enthusiast - Level 1

None of your solutions work. the sound does not work on my PAID channel 1776, New Jersey,
this is a TV Polonia channel. I need this to work since I am paying for nothing.

Thanks

0 Likes