Battery replacement
qacjet
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've had FiOS TV&Internet since April 2013.  Even though no phone, setup includes battery, which now requires replacement.  The installed unit is a Motorola Model ONT1000GTI-PS-VZ.  It is compact and designed with a built-in power cord and a line to the ONT, ideal for my small condo unit.  Problem is that this model apparently has been discontinued.  Search on Verizon and many battery sellers' Web sites have all come up empty, and none of the FiOS batteries listed look anything like it.

Two questions:  Does anyone know what, if anything, similar to the Motorola battery is available and where it can be purchased?  Since I don't have phone, is it possible to connect ONT directly to a power source?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Battery replacement
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

If Verizon can not replace the bbu to one that does not beep they are suppose to provide you a new battery free of charge just so you will not hear the beep anymore.

View solution in original post

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Witout phone, no need for battery.

If you really want one, take the old one to a store that specializes in batteries like Battery Warehouse.

0 Likes
qacjet
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the info, but I'm afraid I wasn't sufficiently clear in my post. 

The equipment I referred to is called an indoor ONT.  That's somewhat misleading because it is actually a battery unit that also contains an OPSU.  So if you remove the battery you also remove the power to the ONT itself.  If you do a Verizon site search for "indoor ONT" it will retrieve a 2009 article explaining what is involved.   Just ignoring the failing battery would be the simple solution except for the beep, especially since the equipment is located in my bedroom.  I disabled the beep but found that it still occurs once a day.  I don't know if it's accidental or deliberate, but that beep occurs between 4 and 5 AM and acts as an unwelcome alarm clock.

Anyhow, thanks again for your assistance.  There's no need to again reply.  I just posted this additional information because it might be of interest to some other visitors to the site.

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

If Verizon can not replace the bbu to one that does not beep they are suppose to provide you a new battery free of charge just so you will not hear the beep anymore.

tjl2
Enthusiast - Level 1

I thought the same about getting Verizon to replace the battery at no charge... but NO. 

I was thinking about all the equipment charges added to my bill so that Verizon will at least maintain the equipment in good working order... So when my battery went dead on the FIOS unit which has since been beeping incessantly... I spent 47 minutes on hold with customer service waiting to speak to a human, and here are the three options he gave me:

(1) disconnect the battery and throw it away - it's not needed unless you there's a power outtage and you have to make an emergency phone call or something of the sort... Something you don't need - until you do. 

(2) go to the store and find a replacement

(3) Verizon can send me a replacement for $59. 

I nearly lost it.  47 minutes on hold to hear that?  Seriously?  I told the guy I thought Verizon was responsible for maintaining the equipment they provide - and he said they are, but the battery is not part of the equipment.... well, last time I checked, the battery came with the equipment, is integrated into the box, and enables important functionality - without it, that functionality would be lost.  Why would I have to go buy a battery to replace the one they provided?  Does that meant that I get to be the proud owner of a new Verizon-equipment-specific battery when I cancel my service? 

Verizon should be ashamed of the service they provide.