BEEEEEEP in between advertisements
KriFIOS
I've been hearing this beep/buzz at the and of many Verizon Fios tv commercials. Kinda like an alarm clock noise or the old emergency alert tones. For me, it has been occurring at random, and on all channels. HD or not. I have read online that others are having the same problem, mostly with Verizon or local ads. Is there anything I can do about it? Does anyone know what is causing it?
0 Likes
Re: BEEEEEEP in between advertisements
wanga
Enthusiast - Level 2

i get the same thing as well. 

Just started happening recently. 

0 Likes
jusdndy
I am not positive if this is occuring during sd commercials or only local commercials, but this is VERY annoying.  I see a lot of emails complaining about the issue, but none from Verizon giving an explanation or solution. I guess the only option for users is to keep posting.
0 Likes
SonyGuy

Same problem here.  It seems very random, but it happens frequently and it is incredibly annoying.  It's not just the FIOS commercials... it happens between any type of commercials, and sometimes between a commercial and the start of the show.  In fact, at first I thought it was some dopey "feature" that I had accidentally turned on, to let you know when the commercials were over and the show was starting again!  I only seem to get it on my 6416-2 network DVR, not on the other boxes,  I've played the noise back for 4 different FIOS telephone support people, and nobody has any suggestions. I switched to a new 6416-2 box around 2 months ago, and the problem was still there.

Has this been a long-standing problem?  I'm relatively new to FIOS-TV (Jan. 2009), and I've had this problem right from the start, as far as I can tell. 

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend
I have the same 6416-2 DVR and have never heard this beep. I have it via HDMI straight to my TV. Some have reported it on the fiber audio out. Does it do it on all audio hook ups? If you are connected via fiber you may want to try something else until it is fixed.
0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2
the beep you are hearing is the signal on the broadcaster that alerts the computer to start the next commercial or to resume the program. Normally this is inaudible to the customer and is not supposed to be broadcast. But sometimes the channel accidentally leaves the "audible" level turned on and the customers can hear it. It should be fairly infrequent on average.
0 Likes
TheSanchez
Contributor - Level 2

I inquired about this and the problem is currently being investigated.  From what I gather from here and other forums its happening for people using the fiber audio out on the ASTB models.  There really isn't much information other than the problem is being addressed at this time.  Sorry for the inconvenience guys. 

On a sidenote spacederismark is correct.  The tone messages for commercials are all inaudible.  The industry stopped using audible tones before FiOS TV was deployed en mass.  If this is whats causiing the beeps or other audio distortions it should be fairly infrequent, and not on every channel.  Most networks that allow insertable advertising provide 1-3 small windows an hour which the tones signal. 

0 Likes
jorusfett

I have only heard it a couple of times when playing back shows on our DVR, but my wife hears it frequently. It is definitely at the end of a commercial before the show starts back up. Very loud and annoying.

My audio hookup is as follows:

HDMI from STB -> HDMI HDTV

RCA from STB  -> Receiver

Don't have any optical audio going out from the STB.

0 Likes
SonyGuy

TheSanchezR,

Thanks for your investigation.  I can tell you that the beeps can come more frequently than 1-3 times per hour.  I've had 3 in a row in the same commercial block on the YES Network and DIY Network.  I had the same TV and 5.1 audio system with Cablevision's DVR box with no beeps on the same channels.  If the network provider is sending the same program to Verizon and Cablevision, and Cablevision viewers don't hear beeps, I have to think that Verizon is not filtering the beeps properly. 

Please keep us updated on the status of this truly annoying problem.  This issue has really put a damper on my otherwise favorable opinion of FIOS. 

0 Likes
Vumes
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am also on an HDMI connection and have had this problem. Not often, but it does happen.

What I also get is local commercials, with different audio. A local commercial plays, and I hear the audio from a totally different local commercial. Quite comical as it has happened quite a few times.

0 Likes