Box keeps turning on and off constantly.
ncc1701d

My Fios cable box after rehooking it up after  moving tv from one side of room to the other.

it keeps rebooting constantly turning of and off. It shows a please wait sign in red letters on gray background on the TV.

Then tv goes static and then shows that message and it alternates back and forth from static to message forever never showing anything else.

I tryed the disconnect power on box and it never corrects problem.

Everything was fine until I reconnected everything.

Please help.

thank you.

0 Likes
Re: Box keeps turning on and off constantly.
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

@ncc1701d wrote:

My Fios cable box after rehooking it up after  moving tv from one side of room to the other.

it keeps rebooting constantly turning of and off. It shows a please wait sign in red letters on gray background on the TV.

Then tv goes static and then shows that message and it alternates back and forth from static to message forever never showing anything else.

Please help.

thank you.

In regards to the box rebooting all the time, please check the ventilation holes on the top of the box. If they are blocked or don't have 2 inches of clearance, the box will overheat and reboot itself. In regards to TV static that comes and goes, please check the connection from the TV to the box. Unhook it from both ends and put back on good an secure. If its still happening, please use another cable.

0 Likes
Headhunter6
Enthusiast - Level 3

This tip about the air vent holes is a bit silly---about the same as checking to ensure that the set top box is plugged into the AC outlet.  I have the same rebooting issues---reboots several times per hour with no rhyme or reason. Air vents are not only clear, my MRDVR set top box is grand spanking new and direct from Verizon only two days ago.

Can someone at Verizon please do more than offer the same ideas?

22Becca22
Contributor - Level 3

@ncc1701d wrote:

Please help.

thank you.

Hello,

You said you moved the box from one area of the room to another... are you using the same coax in the room but just a longer coax cable?  Or, is this a different coax? If a different one, then was there ever a STB connected to that coax? Just wondering if the coax outlet itself needs to be checked.

A few things to confirm:

1) Check that the cables/cords are connected properly (and are secured in place):  

a) Coax from the wall or floor goes to the "TV In" port at the back of the STB.

b) If the STB and TV are high-def, then you'd have HDMI or component cables connected from the STB to the TV.

If the STB and TV are standard, then you'd have a second coax or red-white-yellow cables connected from the STB to the TV.

c) the power cord is connected from the box to a power outlet/strip.

2) check the input on your TV. 

Also, have you tried going to

http://www22.verizon.com/Support/Residential/TV/fix.htm

via the steps mentioned under "Set-Top Box or DVR not working", plus the link that says 'let us fix the problem for you"?

You can also try the steps from the in home agent application - FiOS TV section via verizon.com/inhomeagent 

If you still have issues, you can contact Technical Support via live chat from http://www22.verizon.com/content/contactus/  (live chat is working!) or by calling 1-888-553-1555.

Once you get thru to a technical support representative he/she can let you know if it's the set top box itself, the coax outlet or something else.  Sometimes the STB might just need a reset.

0 Likes
Headhunter6
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have tried these option to include running the various troubleshooting applications on the Motorola QIP 7216 HD DVR Set Top Box. According to the results, signal strength is good and the box is able to retrieve the router info as well as guide info and On Demand listings. No Issue running On Demand titles. Have also verified that all splitters--there are only two in my system--are of the 2.3 Ghz bi-directional variety.  So connectivity does not seem to be the problem.  Frankly, I'm completely stumped as to why the set top box cuts out again and again. The problem has been happening since last week and very randomly--no rhyme or reason.  None of our other three set top boxes have this problem.

All this began shortly after I stumbled upon the "Upload to Cloud" DVR feature which I think is what caused my QIP 6416 to turn into a brick last week. Is there any possibility that the box is trying to pull something from "the cloud" and is getting a spurious error that causes the system to reboot?  When it shuts off, it always comes back on with the white "Please Wait" screen and then jumps to the red "Download in Progress....This will take about a minute" screen. It also forgets what channel it was on and seems to return to a channel we were watching hours ago.

0 Likes
22Becca22
Contributor - Level 3

@Headhunter6 wrote:

I have tried these option to include running the various troubleshooting applications on the Motorola QIP 7216 HD DVR Set Top Box. According to the results, signal strength is good and the box is able to retrieve the router info as well as guide info and On Demand listings. No Issue running On Demand titles. Have also verified that all splitters--there are only two in my system--are of the 2.3 Ghz bi-directional variety.  So connectivity does not seem to be the problem.  Frankly, I'm completely stumped as to why the set top box cuts out again and again. The problem has been happening since last week and very randomly--no rhyme or reason.  None of our other three set top boxes have this problem.

All this began shortly after I stumbled upon the "Upload to Cloud" DVR feature which I think is what caused my QIP 6416 to turn into a brick last week. Is there any possibility that the box is trying to pull something from "the cloud" and is getting a spurious error that causes the system to reboot?  When it shuts off, it always comes back on with the white "Please Wait" screen and then jumps to the red "Download in Progress....This will take about a minute" screen. It also forgets what channel it was on and seems to return to a channel we were watching hours ago.

The only 'Upload to Cloud' feature I know of is the 'Export Series to Cloud' which allows you to save your current recording schedule (series list) to the cloud if you are switching DVRs, so you don't have to reprogram the series dates/times again on the replacement DVR.  

Regarding your 7216 DVR, if you've tried the rebooting and autocorrecton steps and still have the same issues,

have you tried contacting Verizon Technical Support yet?  

0 Likes
Headhunter6
Enthusiast - Level 3

A visit to my house by Verizon Tech support may have to be the next step. As noted above, Verizon replaced the old QIP 6416 DVR which turned into a brick last week for no known reason with a new QIP 7216, but the constant resetting has continued on this box. A neighbor of mine thought that a possible cause might be unstable power, but that would cause the box to simply turn off and do a soft reset--same as pulling the power plug--not a full-up hard reboot like it does now. So whatever the problem is, it would seem to be some sort of signal interferrence (or loss of signal) in the line that is causing the system to crash. Perhaps a grounding issue? The only other thing I can do myself would be to reset the ONT by cutting the power to the whole house and pulling the battery-back-up, then restore power to all of them in the hopes that something in the ONT is off kilter.

0 Likes
Headhunter6
Enthusiast - Level 3

Related to this, does the set top box keep an internal error log? If it does, then it might be able to reveal why it shuts down.

0 Likes
Headhunter6
Enthusiast - Level 3

So a Verizon technician came to the house. According to his handheld analyzer, the RF signal at the DVR box was normal and in the acceptable signal-noise range. With this, he decided to just trace the lines to make sure that all of the splitters were the correct kind and that all connections/splices were good. Turns out, one of the splices in the DVR's cable path was bad and had some of the coax grounding wire wrapped around the main copper coax wire. It was so small, that I could not see it without a bright flashlight and using my bifocals like a magnifying glass. But it was there! This tiny fault could indeed lead to whacky and unpredictable electrical gremlins that would cause the set top box to reboot, so he says. Given that, he decided to redo all of the splices going to that splitter just to be sure.  So now we wait for a few days to see if we get another unexpected STB reset.  Fingers crossed that the problem is fixed. That particular cable has been untouched since my FIOS was installed six years ago and we've never had a problem until the last two weeks. No clue why it decided to become a problem now!

0 Likes
Headhunter6
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, we thought we had the problem licked. We've gone several days without a problem following the Verizon technician's visit. But just now it did the unexpected reset. We weren't doing anything to the box and were in the middle of an hour long regular broadcast TV program. Now I'm really stumped. And I'm really concerned that there is something seriously wrong here. 

0 Likes