Bypass Actiontec router for TV? (ONT MoCA Out direct to Coax on Set Top Box?)
HiDefNYC
Enthusiast - Level 1

I want to eliminate the Actiontec tower wireless router that Verizon provides and connect the coax from the ONT MoCA directly to the Set Top Box.  Can I do this and still get FIOS TV programming on the TV?  What will I lose on the TV in terms of functionality (menus, ads, DVR?) 

I'm all set with the Internet, routing the WAN from the ONT RJ-45 port to a Unifi UDM Pro and series of Unifi Nano APs.

Besides taking up space in the AV cabinet and giving off heat, the Actiontec also has a 2.4 and 5.8 radio inside which creates interference with my existing APs.  Eliminating the Actiontec would be sweet, but it depends on the cost in functionality. 

Tags (4)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Bypass Actiontec router for TV? (ONT MoCA Out direct to Coax on Set Top Box?)
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not using a Verizon router as the primary router would cost your remote DVR playback and future STB updates and activations. For guide data, you need to setup a MoCA adapter to feed network connection over the coax. The easiest solution for you is to adjust the Actiontec router to the "switch mode" and disabled its 2.4 and 5GHz WiFi interfaces, while leave its Coax LAN intact for providing network connection to the STBs.

View solution in original post

Re: Bypass Actiontec router for TV? (ONT MoCA Out direct to Coax on Set Top Box?)
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not using a Verizon router as the primary router would cost your remote DVR playback and future STB updates and activations. For guide data, you need to setup a MoCA adapter to feed network connection over the coax. The easiest solution for you is to adjust the Actiontec router to the "switch mode" and disabled its 2.4 and 5GHz WiFi interfaces, while leave its Coax LAN intact for providing network connection to the STBs.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

The old Actiontec routers were single band, 2.4GHz only.  If you have a dual-band router, it's a G1100 (a sightly titled black rectangle) or a G3100 (a white cylinder).  You can turn the WiFi off on three routers, you just need to login to their web interface.

If you really have the Actiontec, you should replace it very soon.  It's completely out of support from both Verizon and Actiontec.  It no longer receives firmware updates.  It should be considered a security risk, as it won't get firmware patches.  A moderate risk, but one none the less.

As far as replacing it with a non-Verizon router, it depends on your TV equipment.  If you have the latest Verizon fios ONE boxes, they really, really, really like having a Verizon router as primary.  Without one, they won't activate.  If you activate with a Verizon router then swap routers, you'll find many of their useful features don't work or don't work well.  The older set-top-boxes aren't as dependent on a Verizon router, but they still have features that will be degraded without one.

Further, Verizon will not provide any internet or TV support past the ONT if you don't have one of their routers.  Usually not a big issue for the tech savvy, but you should know.  For this and the reasons stated above, I recommend that TV subscribers keep a Verizon router as primary.

If you truly have an old Actiontec and you decide to keep a Verizon router for TV features, I suggest you find a used G1100 online and disable it's WiFi.  You can find them for $40 or so these days.  Just make sure the seller has a return policy you can live with should issues occur.

If you want more detailed advice, post the model numbers of your router and set-top-boxes.