Cable Card issue: Can't view premium channels
mad_dog97
Enthusiast - Level 1

I recently switched from Comcast to FIOS, and have been very happy with the new services so far.  One thing that has been driving me crazy however, is that I can't get my cablecard to view any of the premium channels I subscribe to.  

It looks like there's an issue with activation, but everytime I call the FIOS tech support they say that it looks good on their end.  However if I look at the status of my cable card it says:

Authentication:  Success

Authorization:  Needed

If I look at the log for my device when I try  to tune a premium channel, it shows:

20121224-17:16:58 CableCARD: Tuner0: vchannel 850 (225MHz-734) access = not-subscribed

I'm using a HD Prime Homerun network tuner, however I also have a STB in the house, and it tunes those channels perfectly.  

The FIOS tech support guys/gals I've talked with, don't seem to be too up to speed on cable cards, and even tried to forward my call to TIVO support (the TIVO support person was just as confused as I was, since I told them that it wasn't a TIVO that I was using).  

Any ideas?  

Edit:  Also wanted to add, that one FIOS support tech suggested that the card was defective, so I did swap out for a new card, but the new card is acting exactly like the old one.

0 Likes
Re: Cable Card issue: Can't view premium channels
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Hi,  I found that when you talk about cable cards with the verizon guys you have to be very specific.  you have to call them with exactly this info.

Serial number of the card

Host ID from system set up screen on tv

Data ID from system set up screen on tv

Cable ID  from system set up screen on tv

you have to have those number from the set up screen on your silicon dust device.  and then call and ask them to do a validate on the cable card.  

if you don't give them that info, and they are not using that info when trying to fix you, then you will not get fixed.  

If you gave them that exact info, then you just kinda have to keep calling and doing chat support until you find someone that knows how to use and put those numbers into their systems 

mad_dog97
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hubrisnxs - Thanks for the message. . . I've definitely been giving those numbers out everytime I call in, but maybe I just need to keep trying until I get someone who can push the magic buttons.  I know these cable cards are somewhat finicky, but it's definitely frustrating to spend hours on the phone without getting things working.

mad_dog97a
Enthusiast - Level 1

Wanted to close the loop here ... Was finally able to get this resolved with the very good help from Andy in tech support.  Not sure exactly what he did differently than the other techs, but he got it working in less than 10 minutes.

This issue can be closed out (I had to create a new username due to an issue when my account was set up).  

aliasneo1
Enthusiast - Level 3

The cable card needed to be re activated by the agent, next time you face the issue just reach tech support ask them to reactivate the cable card that will fix the issue.

0 Likes
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

mad_dog97,

Since we haven't heard back from you or have received a form submission as requested in your private support case, it appears assistance is no longer required. If you need any future help with your Verizon service, please make a post here on the forums so we can assist.

0 Likes