Can a used One Mini work or do you have to buy from Verizon?
Rkkeller8
Enthusiast - Level 2

A friend has a used One mIni and wanted to sell it to me cheap, about half the cost, but we are not sure it will work with my Fios setup or not. 

Will a used mini be able to work with someone else setup?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can a used One Mini work or do you have to buy from Verizon?
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Rkkeller8 wrote:

Thanks, I thought that, but I looked around and they are all over, Ebay and other places.

Maybe you can buy one from Verizon to save the rental fees and then sell it later?

I am new to the TV part, been mostly internet only a while.  So moving slow so I can try to keep the costs down.

Unfortunately it is VERY difficult for Verizon to collect equipment when someone cancels service. They send out notices, but usually never follow up. When you try to register a piece of equipment that is not assigned to you, they will refuse to activate it, and you'll be out whatever you paid. That's why so much gear shows up on e-bay. Buyer beware.

View solution in original post

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Rkkeller8 wrote:

A friend has a used One mIni and wanted to sell it to me cheap, about half the cost, but we are not sure it will work with my Fios setup or not. 

Will a used mini be able to work with someone else setup?

I believe you cannot use a mini that is registered to another account. Also that should have been turned in to Verizon when he was done with it, as he never paid for the device. I would be very cautious doing what you suggest.

Rkkeller8
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks, I thought that, but I looked around and they are all over, Ebay and other places.

Maybe you can buy one from Verizon to save the rental fees and then sell it later?

I am new to the TV part, been mostly internet only a while.  So moving slow so I can try to keep the costs down.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Unlike routers and auxiliary equipment, Verizon doesn't sell STBs.

The company only rents the receivers...which I think is standard procedure for service providers such as Comcast, Astound, AT&T, Consolidated, Frontier...etc.

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Rkkeller8 wrote:

Unfortunately it is VERY difficult for Verizon to collect equipment when someone cancels service. They send out notices, but usually never follow up. When you try to register a piece of equipment that is not assigned to you, they will refuse to activate it, and you'll be out whatever you paid. That's why so much gear shows up on e-bay. Buyer beware.