Can STBs Communicate With Other Wireless Devices On My Network?
KDK

I only have had FiOS TV for a couple of weeks, although I've been using FiOS Internet since it became available. I didn't realize until installation day that the STB/DVRs get Guide data and program information over my wireless network, not directly from the TV cable. So it makes me wonder whether it's possible to access data directly from a computer that is also connected to my home network. I have in mind playing video or audio files or viewing pictures that are stored on a computer hard drive through a FiOS-connected TV. Is this currently possible?

Thanks. KDK

0 Likes
Re: Can STBs Communicate With Other Wireless Devices On My Network?
matcarl
Master - Level 1
The STB's do get their info from the cable, not wirelessly. If you get the multiroom DVR for $19.99 a month, it has a feature you can download to your computer to play songs and watch photos from your computer to your TV that is connected to that DVR.
0 Likes
KDK
We have one DVR. What download am I looking for and where? Thanks for the response.
0 Likes
KDK
I think I found it - Media Manager? Installed and trying it out. So far, the DVR doesn't says it isn't running, even though it is. I'll have to play with it some more.
0 Likes
matcarl
Master - Level 1

http://www22.verizon.com/Residential/FiOSTV/MediaGuide/MediaGuide.htm

Bottom left, it talks about the feature and says "Download Media Manager" but you have to call up and ask for Home Media DVR first. Verizon will activate it and you will be billed $19.99 instead of $15.99. After that you can download that link to your PC.

Message Edited by matcarl on 11-25-2008 09:38 PM
Message Edited by matcarl on 11-25-2008 09:39 PM
0 Likes
KDK
My bill already shows a charge of $19.99 for a Home Media DVR - High Definition. I'll call tomorrow and make sure the service has been activated. We used my existing router (a Linksys 300N) when the installer set up my FiOS TV service - not the Verizon router. He connected a network interface box. The Media Center setup guide says only Verizon's routers are supported. How likely is that to be a problem?
0 Likes