Can't get My Book AV 500 esata drive working with Motorola QIP-7216
Verk
Enthusiast - Level 3

Scenario1: When I connect external drive to DVR, I'm prompted on TV that external drive is connected, and it will be erased. Select "accept" or "reject". I click "accept", and nothing happens.

Scenario2: I go to "Enable More Storage", I follow the steps, and set-top box reboots. When the DVR comes back up, I still don't see the external drive under "Recorder Status".

Verizon tech support has been little help. When I first called, the rep had not idea about external storage functionality. The 2nd rep that I chatted with, replaced my DVR, this didn't help. The 3rd rep that I chatted with told me they couldn't issue commands to my DVR because it was during off hours.

So I've tried two DVRs, and no success.

Tech details:

Western Digital My Book AV 500

Motorola DVR QIP-7216-1, Release: 1.9, Build: 10.95

Please help!

0 Likes
Re: Can't get My Book AV 500 esata drive working with Motorola QIP-7216
Travis_VZ
Contributor - Level 2

Hey, sorry you're having difficulties getting the external storage to work properly! I am not familiar with this particular drive, though I have heard of it. Is it a brand new drive you're using specifically for additional storage, or have you used it with a different device/computer previously? I'm wondering if it may be due to how the hard drive is partitioned/formatted. My suggestion would be to refer to the manufacturer instructions for formatting the drive within windows if possible, and once that's done, try it again on your DVR. Feel free to post back here or shoot me a PM to discuss further. Thank you!

0 Likes
hockeyusa81
Enthusiast - Level 2
I'm having a bit of a similar problem. I'm using a Seagate 2TB drive in an enclosure and at random times when I record something, the DVR just shuts off, reboots, then doesn't detect the drive. If I manually turn off the drive and turn it back on, go through the add drive procedure, and it reboots, it finds the drive and any recordings on it are intact. It seems to do it on every 4th recording no matter what it is.

At first, I thought it was the drive but it seems like it may be a firmware issue or that the DVR itself is dying. On one occasion, it has done the random shut off during the same recording, which was Game 1 of the ALCS. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
0 Likes
Verk
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for your response Travis.  I purchased this new to use with the DVR.  Western Digital pointed me to Verizon.  I haven't pursued reformatting yet.  I was a little concerned when I received the drive because the packaging looked like it was open and then resealed.  I'm going to RMA this drive with Western Digital.

0 Likes
BriLam

I'm having the exact same situation as your scenario #2. I've never had scenario #1 occur.

I have the 1 TB drive and the QIP-7216. I just love having invested the cash in this, having the issue, calling tech support, and being told I can't be helped.

I'm now using the drive as a focal point and as a talking point during conversations held in my living room.

Please keep me updated with your progress, if any.

0 Likes
Verk
Enthusiast - Level 3

Still awaiting my RMA from Western Digital.

Also, awaiting a response from Verizon.

I'll post results here.

0 Likes
Travis_VZ
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks Verk and Brilan for providing the information requested.

I've sent a command called a refresh to both of your circuits. What we want you guys to do is to try power cycling the box, and once the IMG is fully loaded (guide data present etc) go ahead and try reattaching the drive. Verk, I realize you may not have a drive currently to test with, as I'm not sure how RMA's are handled from WD, but please try this step if you're able to and report back with results. Brilan, if you could try the same steps that would be appreciated. Again, we have developers looking into this right now.

0 Likes
BriLam

No change whatsoever, and I tried it numerous times and in different sequences. Still just a paper weight.

0 Likes
Travis_VZ
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks Brilam. Sorry that didn't work but it's a step the developers wanted us to take. I'll let them know. Thanks again, and I'll keep you guys posted as we get more information.

0 Likes
Rene_A
Enthusiast - Level 2
I have a similar problem. I connected the external drive and went to the enable process. It worked just find for a month. We had a power outage four dats ago and after that I haven't been able to make it work. I've tried everything at no avail.

What can I do? Am I gonna loose everithing?

The STB says that I have an external drive anf if I want to be detected I need to reboot. I do that but nothing, the external drive is not there.

Any sufestions?

Thanks

Rene
0 Likes