Cannot Stream in 4K via the Netlix/YT native apps on FIOS TV ONE box
ff1690
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi -

I have a TV One box and a FIOS-G1100 Router. I know this is not a router issue as I stream 4K via Netflix/YT app's on my 4K TV and Netflix/YT app's on my Blu Ray player.

Setup: Everything is hard wired. From my router to my TV One Box to my 4K amp to my 4K Samsung TV.

1) If I open the Netflix/YT Apps on my TV or on my Blu Ray player I can stream in 4K.

2) If I open the Netflix/YT Apps on the FIOS TV One box I CANNOT stream in 4K.

I tried changing the resolution in settings on the FIOS One box: Settings/Video settings/video format to 2160P 16:9 and I get the error: unable to change to the selected video format, it may not be supported on this TV or cannot be changed at this time.

As I can stream 4K, as detailed above, from app's on all other devices I know all cabling and setups are fine and work. I just cannot stream 4K from the FIOS One box. I reset everything and still no 4K from the FIOS One box Netflix/YT apps.

Is there something I am missing? FIOS states that the TV ONE box is capable of streaming in 4K. Any help appreciated. Any idea appreciated.

Thanks,
Jimm

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Cannot Stream in 4K via the Netlix/YT native apps on FIOS TV ONE box
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

By saying Netflix and YouTube apps, you are going to the channels in the guide right? Is the HDMI cable from the box to the amp(receiver) 4K certified? Did you try to manually setup the box for your brand and model receiver? Is the input on the receiver the box is connected to set to enhanced mode? Did you try going direct from the box to the TV to see if the receiver was the problem?

View solution in original post

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

By saying Netflix and YouTube apps, you are going to the channels in the guide right? Is the HDMI cable from the box to the amp(receiver) 4K certified? Did you try to manually setup the box for your brand and model receiver? Is the input on the receiver the box is connected to set to enhanced mode? Did you try going direct from the box to the TV to see if the receiver was the problem?

ff1690
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi clem53 -

Thanks so much for your ideas. I tried going direct from the box to the TV as you suggested,  to see if the receiver was the problem. Bingo. I got 4K. The FIOS TV One box was set to 2160p. I then reconnected my receiver and it stayed at 2160p. But, I still could not stream in 4K.

I did some research and found out that my outdated receiver is not compliant. See below. I found it online.

Sony STR-DH550 -- No HDCP 2.2, just 4K pass through. Comes with HDMI, can be misleading since it supports HDMI 2.0. The signal requires HDCP 2.2 from start to finish. Meaning connecting through the receiver, won't work. HDCP 2.2 player, receiver, TV/projector.  Won't stream copy righted material. Netflix.

The issue is my receiver. So for now no big deal. I will just stream Netflix and YT via the apps on my new TV.

Good to know the FIOS box works. I will have to update the receiver down the line when I can afford too.

Thanks again. Kudos! You really saved me from chasing my tail forever. 

Jimm

DennisB43

Its the receiver that is most likely 2.0 instead of 2.2 hdcp. Fios tv one doesn't tell you that most receivers bought a few years ago wont work for streaming 4k. Youll have to buy a new receiver that is 2.2 compatible 

0 Likes
drzeller

Unfortunately, my receiver *is* compliant, and I still don't have a solution.

0 Likes
3rj0hns
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello - I'm also unsure about the need to manually change User Settings on the STB. Here is my situation.

I have an IPC4100 mini box connected to a Yamaha receiver by HDMI 2.0 cable; receiver connected to Samsung Q80 TV via HDMI 2.0 cable. The Yamaha receiver is HDCP 2.2 compliant and so is the TV. My questions are:

1. Do I need to manually change the User Settings on the ICP4100 mini box to 2160p?
  2. Or, will the connectivity I have result in the mini box and all equipment automatically recognizing UHD4K output and thus change the setting to 2160p?
  3. Is it preferable to use 2160p30, 60, 90. . .?

Thank you

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

Once you connect the fios box to the Receiver it should sense the 4K TV on the other side and switch to 2160P.  It also should sense the TV's frame rate capabilities. If it doesnt, and going into the video settings meu and manually changing to 2160 wont work, then either the input on the receiver the Fios box is hooked to is not set up in 4K mode, or enhanced mode, the output of the Receiver isn't set up to output 4K, or the input on the TV isnt set up to accept a 4K signal. All inputs and outputs involved have to be setup for 4K, sometimes referred to as enhanced mode. Also ALL cables in the chain must be High-Speed 18G/sec certified or the system wont work at 4K.