Channel guide has been blank for half the day
mediaseth
Enthusiast - Level 3

The most annoying aspect of this problem is that I can't use the guide to switch channels. I have to manually enter channel numbers. Also, I can not see what is on.

I read another post where it suggested resetting the router. I have to point out that I live in a 22 unit building and my flavor of FIOS is really something called VDSL that they market under FIOS (and this seems to confuse every single tech or support rep that I've encountered).

Anyway, since my router is independent of my TV service, what do I do? I tried rebooting the box. Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Channel guide has been blank for half the day
mediaseth
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just want to add that I've tried resetting the router anyway. I've also reset the set top box three times. It's still not getting an IP address. After the money I recently paid to have a FIOS "Installer" simply move my router to another jack on the other side of my condo, this just adds insult to injury. Also, I could have moved my router myself if they would have just told me over the phone that was possible.

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

Isn't there still a router  for VDSL?  I don't think your TV services is independent of that router.  Perhaps someone else who is familiar with MDU installations can clarify how the STB's connect to the internet in such cases if its not through your router.

0 Likes
mediaseth
Enthusiast - Level 3

Either way, TNS, resetting the router didn't work. The router is working for internet, though.

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

You may want to try performing an autocorrection from the STB main menu under the customer support, in-home agent.  Try the autocorrection, not the reboot.

0 Likes
mediaseth
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks, PJL. I tried that also. It didn't work. My STB still has no IP address and I don't seem to have any other options to try. I'm going to see if anyone will answer by phone at Verizon this Sunday, and hope they're not overwhelmed by whatever this "red zone" thing is. 😞

0 Likes
mediaseth
Enthusiast - Level 3

I called. The tech was knowledgable and helpful.

1. The tech who came out to move my VDSL router to another room just tested the line, plugged it in, and that was it. I thought I was being ripped off for being told I had to have a tech do it. Well, besides being charged, he did it incorrectly.

2. Since all he did was move my VDSL router, my set top box was no longer able to communicate with the network and receive an I.P. address. The phone support person had me go through another reboot cycle just to confirm it.

3. The tech who came out did not do the job. This is my third time having a tech come out with either the wrong equipment or a lack of proper training on how to handle VDSL MDU's. Isn't it usually, "Three strikes and you're out?"

My patience with this service is beyond its limit and to add insult to injury, I'm waiting until Saturday the 15th for the tech to come out because of my work schedule. I can't take off to wait around for the appointment window. 😞

With what I pay.. and I'm paying more than I was with cable.. ARRGH.

0 Likes