Channels don't work
djfimiano
Enthusiast - Level 2

Will high end cables/interconnects deliver channels that have not worked for some time? Maybe a gold plated cable from the wall to the cable box? Maybe replace the outside cable as well?

For a few years I have been accepting that certain channels just will never work, and some work once in a while. After many random conversations with technical support over the years and "sending a reset signal" to the cable box, retightening the connections, and a visit from a technician I have come to the conclusion there are just too many splits in the underground cable (too much signal loss in the splitter)

0 Likes
Re: Channels don't work
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Inline coaxial cable splitters will attenuate signals. The more splits, the higher the attenuation.

RG6 cabling will attenuate as well (but the amount in a residential setting wouldn't be enough to create a noticeable difference). RG59 cable has a higher loss per foot than RG6. Underground cable runs, especially direct burial are best served by cable with water block.

My suggestion would be to check the splitters. If they are old, replace. Can any be eliminated? If there are any open ports on any of the splitters, either insert 75 ohm terminator caps or replace the splitters with ones with just enough ports to meet current needs. Verizon branded 2-way splitters are MoCA 2.0 with a frequency range of 5-1675MHz. They have a rated attenuation of -3.5db/port.

Check the connectors. Twist on connectors are bad news and should be replaced. Crimp connectors are good. Compression connectors are better yet.

Other members here will offer up other suggestions to consider.

Re: Channels don't work
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Tuddy wrote:

Will high end cables/interconnects deliver channels that have not worked for some time? Maybe a gold plated cable from the wall to the cable box? Maybe replace the outside cable as well?

For a few years I have been accepting that certain channels just will never work, and some work once in a while. After many random conversations with technical support over the years and "sending a reset signal" to the cable box, retightening the connections, and a visit from a technician I have come to the conclusion there are just too many splits in the underground cable (too much signal loss in the splitter)

Actually many of the "gold" plated connectors are nothing but brass with a micro coat of gold, so no real benefit there, especially if you are using them to connect to non-gold plated connectors. Dexman is 100% correct about the splitters and the cabling. Do you have Fios ? If so your cable is fiber, not copper and does not suffer from being buried like copper cable did. Replacing any outdoor cables is a good idea since they are prone to water damage. Get cables pre-made in the length you need that are outdoor rated with compression and water-tight connectors. And do check on those splitters as Dexman said, they can be a major source of problems.