Channels over 50 are blank
tosh99

Recently, the area that I live in was transferred to Frontier's control.  Now, I'm unable to see any channel above 50.  I can see other channels like 3, 4, 5, etc, but when I punch in 50, all I see is a blank screen.  The same goes for any channel above 50.

My tv is a Sony Bravia 26 inch.  I have a digital adapter, I think the model number is dct-700 or something like that.

My mom and my brother have one of those set top boxes that cost an extra $5, and they don't have any problems viewing any channels.

I tried unplugging the digital adapter for 15 seconds, then I tried leaving it unplugged for 6 hours, while i was away.  But that didn't change anything

0 Likes
Re: Channels over 50 are blank
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you're now a Frontier customer -- you're probably going to have to ask them.

However, it sounds like the box isn't "authorized" properly.   You probably need to get them to reinitialiize / reprovision the box.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

an stb auto correction MIGHT fix it, but most likely lasagna is right, and the box isn't authorized properly. if you go to menu -> help/customer support - > in home agent -> stb auto correction. then that may do the trick, otherwise call in to have the box re authroized or activated and it will work.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Since they are now Frontier however ... I'm not sure if the home agent continues to work, does it?

0 Likes
tosh99

well, after trying to unplug it again, the labels are now gone.  I no longer see which channel it's on and I don't see that annoying logo in the bottom left. Plus, I can no longer access the menu, or more like the menu, like the logo, can no longer be seen.

By the way, what does a cold reset do?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

complete factory restore,   recordings erased, schedules erased - everything erasedd, and it re-downloads all the img and everything from the head end completely fresh.

0 Likes
tosh99

does it restore those things right away, or will it take a day or two?  For the record, I just tried it and now I'm getting nothing but blank screen.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

a cold init is done by holding down a few buttons, unplugging the power and plugging it back in with those buttons still depressed.   if you did something like that it takes about 15-45 minutes only, should not be over an hour.  and I don't believe it would fix this particular problem. 

if you did something kinda like what I described (I can't remember the exact button mashing) then it should have came back after about 45 minutes at the max.

if it hasn't, you can't get the time, and you've already tried unplugging and replugging it back in and you get absolutely no life at all, the box may need some attention.   it may need the tech's over the phone to throw a command at it, or it may be "bricked" and need a replacement. 

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

The suggestions about auto correct and button pushes don't apply to the DCT-700 (stated box by the OP) as it has no buttons to push and no home agent internally.

The only solution is to call Frontier and have them  totally reinitialize / re-authorize the DCT-700 and failing that have them replace it or authorize a truck roll service call.

tosh99

okay, that for your help, I'll give them a call.

0 Likes