CID display on TV
calpoly73
Enthusiast - Level 2

Caller ID display on our TVs worked fine after initial installation.  After setting up voice mail on FIOS phone line, the display on the TVs has stopped.  Coincidence?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: CID display on TV
calpoly73
Enthusiast - Level 2

Disabling the CID feature, resetting the router then enabling the CID did the trick and it now works fine on all TVs.  Thanks. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

possibly related -

Most of the time if it was previously working, you can follow these steps and it will start working again

1. disable alerts (menu>settings>caller id>display alerts>disable)
  2. reboot STB (menu>customer support>in home agent >reset set top box > confirm reset)
  3. enable alerts (menu>settings>caller id>display alerts>enable)
cbwoodstock91
Contributor - Level 1

Dear CID TV

did you try disabling the voice mail on your phone and try if you get again the cid on your TV?

Incompatibility is common problem between some features,

good luck!

CB

0 Likes
calpoly73
Enthusiast - Level 2

Disabling the CID feature, resetting the router then enabling the CID did the trick and it now works fine on all TVs.  Thanks. 

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend
Glad to see it worked. Every once in a while you'll have to do that. Hopefully not too often. 🙂
0 Likes
Re: CID display TV works about 10% of the time at best!
swedepie

Setting this problem as 'SOLVED' is a lie since the problem continually recurs!

Please VZ Support, try and find a permanent solution, admit to "CID is flakey, and we don't know how to fix it!", or say a permanent solution is still being sought!

This caller ID (CID) problem has been an issue for at least the past two years!

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@swedepie wrote:

Setting this problem as 'SOLVED' is a lie since the problem continually recurs!

It was the original poster that marked the problem as solved, that is their perogative.

As to your issue, what the OP was told to do and did worked. I have had caller id on my tv for over two years, I have not had to reset it in at least a year, and then probably only 2 or 3 times in the first year. So that process documented in this thread will work for at least some people, even if it does not work for you.

Now there is also apparently another "problem" that can cause the caller id failure, as well as the remote dvr failure; as I understand it, that issue can only be fixed by Verizon tech support, so you need to contact them and describe your problem, hopefully the rep you reach will understand the issue and be able to help.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
swedepie

Thanks for your reply.  Yes, I understand that the original poster has the option of flagging the problem as solved.  I just wanted the 'community' to understand that this FIOS 'CID on TV' problem has been a major ongoing issue!  Since VZ's CID on TV method is to use fancy networking, you would expect it to work, especially since they are descendant from the original telephone company and are now Internet provider and now TV (cable) provider. This should not be a problem!

Other satellite and cable providers go the 'keep it simple stupid' (KISS) route and provide an RJ11 jack on the back of their boxes.  One would expect that VZ, the telephone/Internet/TV provider, could provide 'CID on TV' functionality, but it ends up that they can't pull it off!  The 'CID on TV' function simply stops working at the slightest whim, such as a bird flying over the house!  The user should not have to continually go back and perform disable/auto_fix_reboot/re-enable/straight_reboot (my most reliable method), nor have to reset/reboot the modem-router.  VZ should provide a 'Fix CallerID' item on its STB menu since it would save steps and there are many users out there experiencing or have just given up and let a standard neighborhood power failure reset everything in the house.

When my 2 year contract is up, I will revert back to individual vendors that provide the best (and even cheaper) services in their area of expertise:

- Internet (Verizon FIOS, Verizon DSL, BrightHouse, ...)

- TV (Dish Network (my choice), BrightHouse)

- VOIP Phone (ViaTalk (my current), CallCentric, ooma) see http://www.dslreports.com/gbu for reviews

My FIOS phone is fine but comes nowhere close in features that the many VOIP providers have included in their basic packages.  I can't wait until I have to replace and pay for the backup battery for the FIOS phone!

I should post as an original but there are already several reports here, on the web, and at DSLReports.

- swedepie

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@swedepie wrote:

Thanks for your reply.  Yes, I understand that the original poster has the option of flagging the problem as solved.  I just wanted the 'community' to understand that this FIOS 'CID on TV' problem has been a major ongoing issue!  Since VZ's CID on TV method is to use fancy networking, you would expect it to work, especially since they are descendant from the original telephone company and are now Internet provider and now TV (cable) provider. This should not be a problem!

Other satellite and cable providers go the 'keep it simple stupid' (KISS) route and provide an RJ11 jack on the back of their boxes.  One would expect that VZ, the telephone/Internet/TV provider, could provide 'CID on TV' functionality, but it ends up that they can't pull it off!  The 'CID on TV' function simply stops working at the slightest whim, such as a bird flying over the house!  The user should not have to continually go back and perform disable/auto_fix_reboot/re-enable/straight_reboot (my most reliable method), nor have to reset/reboot the modem-router.  VZ should provide a 'Fix CallerID' item on its STB menu since it would save steps and there are many users out there experiencing or have just given up and let a standard neighborhood power failure reset everything in the house.

When my 2 year contract is up, I will revert back to individual vendors that provide the best (and even cheaper) services in their area of expertise:

- Internet (Verizon FIOS, Verizon DSL, BrightHouse, ...)

- TV (Dish Network (my choice), BrightHouse)

- VOIP Phone (ViaTalk (my current), CallCentric, ooma) see http://www.dslreports.com/gbu for reviews

My FIOS phone is fine but comes nowhere close in features that the many VOIP providers have included in their basic packages.  I can't wait until I have to replace and pay for the backup battery for the FIOS phone!

I should post as an original but there are already several reports here, on the web, and at DSLReports.

- swedepie

I was responding to your very specific statement "Setting this problem as 'SOLVED' is a lie since the problem continually recurs!" which is plain and simply incorrect in the context of the original post in this thread. I acknowledged in my response that there appears to be another cause for the problem, and suggested that you would need to contact Verizon support to get that fixed.

It really doesn't matter how other companies do Caller ID on TV, Verizon has chosen a method, and I doubt they are going to change it. Actually for me, requiring a phone connection to the STB would be very inconvenient in all three locations where I have STBs, the phone jack in every room is on the opposite wall, and would require passing at least one door in each.

I understand you are frustrated, but it is what it is, so if you actually want the service to work instead of just complain, why not follow through by contacting support? Have you? I hope so, and I hope they were able to fix it, they most certainly can.

FWIW, my original battery lasted over 5 1/2 years, was still going strong when Verizon chose to replace my ONT due to a local upgrade policy, and I got a new battery as part of that. Will just have to wait to see how long this one lasts. But a new battery can be found locally here for about $20, not a big deal to me.

Verizon offers Digital Voice in some or all areas now, it is a VOIP implementation with a fair number of features. I have not yet switched, but I am considering it. For now I still have traditional POTS over the FiOS fiber, has worked fine, I guess I am old school but I don't care much about all of the additional features, really the only downside for me is the additional fees and taxes I have to pay.

Anyway, I hope your Caller ID on TV is now fixed. As I said, mine has been very reliable for a year or more. I am now so well trained that when the phone rings the first thing I do is look at the TV..... Smiley Happy

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
ekeith2000

Tried everything listed here...several times.

Still doesn't work.Smiley Sad

It has never worked. 

Always says available, says enabled, but does not work.

0 Likes