COAX devices drop off network multiple times a day
SD8236
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi

I have a G3100 router, a 4100P2 DVR via coax / MoCA, and another remote 4100 mini also via coax.  Multiple times a day, the coax-connected devices drop off the network for about 7-8 minutes at a time.  I have a ping going from an internal linux host that logs the failed pings and beeps.  There is not a discernible pattern other than being off for 7-8 minutes.  There is no logging of the drop, but at the moment it comes back, the DHCP logs show a new lease for the IP of both devices.

The TV picture is coming through on both devices, but I can't do on demand during an outtage, and if someone was watching something on demand it will require the program be watched again from the beginning.

During such an outtage, the coax LED on the router stays lit green (I configured the LED to not sleep).  However, if I disconnect the coax from the wall prior to the router, the LED goes off.

If I look at device status under Menu->Top Customer Support tools, it shows green between the coax devices, but red to the router.

Both of the STBs have been swapped out by Verizon, but the tech had no interest in testing cable, only swapping out hardware.  This has made no difference.

This got long, but does this behavior sound familiar to anyone ?

thank you

Mike

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
[SOLVED] COAX devices drop off network multiple times a day
SD8236
Enthusiast - Level 2

I chatted with Verizon support and got a new router sent to me.  The IPs for the 2 COAX devices remained the same, and they have not gone down in 12 hours since installing the new router.  Normally it was happening about every 3-4 hours up to this point.  I'm calling it solved via the one piece of hardware that they didn't swap out up to this point, which has now been swapped.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: COAX devices drop off network multiple times a day
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

A few questions:

When a drop is detected, do any other services (phone, Internet if applicable) fail as well? Do any warning lights on the ONT turn on during the failure? šŸ¤”

Focusing on the cable infrastructure:

Are all of the connectors properly applied & tightened? Are there any open terminals on any splitters? Are the splitters MoCA 2.0 or newer? Does any of the hardware go outside the house and look like it is very weathered? šŸ¤”

0 Likes
SD8236
Enthusiast - Level 2

When the IP address of the 2 coax devices drop, they still display live TV.  Internet is fine for all other hosts, and my machine that I ping the down coax devices can ping the router.

I believe the Verizon tech also swapped out the ONT, which is outside, and I haven't thought to look at anything there.  Since the two TVs display live TV via the coax, it seems to me that the problem must be between the main TV and the router.  I replaced the splitter that is in that path, but not the 2-3 cable segments that go from router -> wall -> cable -> splitter -> cable -> TV.  I purchased the "in home wire plan" but the tech made no attempt to cable test.  All techs seem happy to give you their cell number but never reply even the next day after the service call.

The pattern of the 7-8 minutes of being off network is so regular, and I have a lot of data to support it since it happens multiple times a day.  I would not expect that kind of behavior with a cable problem, although it seems that that is the one thing (besides replacing the router) that hasn't been replaced.

0 Likes
[SOLVED] COAX devices drop off network multiple times a day
SD8236
Enthusiast - Level 2

I chatted with Verizon support and got a new router sent to me.  The IPs for the 2 COAX devices remained the same, and they have not gone down in 12 hours since installing the new router.  Normally it was happening about every 3-4 hours up to this point.  I'm calling it solved via the one piece of hardware that they didn't swap out up to this point, which has now been swapped.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed. Please feel free to open a new thread for further discussion. Thank you.

0 Likes