Coax jack works for internet, but not TV
Harish1

I bought an actiontec MOCA adapter (2500c) to add internet connectivity to my basement.  Also bought a new TV and decided to move my set top box to the basement.  I have two coax jacks in that room - I can get an internet connection from both jacks, but can get TV connectivity only through one of the them.  How can I go about debugging what the problem might be?

Thanks,

-harish

0 Likes
Re: Coax jack works for internet, but not TV
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

How many STBs and what models do you have in your house and what is the model of your router?

0 Likes
Harish1

I only have one STB - the standard issue Motorola HD-DVR and the router is an Actiontec MI424WR-GEN3I.  

I have an 8 way splitter in the garage from the ONT.  4 connections are live and I've terminated the rest.  

I have the actiontec and the STB in my living room upstairs (previous set up) and  I want to move the STB downstairs (might get a second one for upstairs later)

In the lower level I have 3 active coax connections, one of which is more ideal than the rest from a location perspective to set up my new system.   

For the outlet in question, I can get an internet connection using the 2500c, but there is no TV signal going to the STB ( no addtional splitters used -> even if I connnect the STB directly to the jack on the wall, I don't get a TV signal). 

There are no issues with the other outlets -> I can get TV and internet.

Clearly the cable works because I'm able to get a signal, but I'm lost as what/how I should go about testing the lack of a TV signal.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

Troubleshoot starting from the 8-way splitter. Hook up a short piece of coax to the port you can't TV on and see if it works. If it does work go back to the bad outlet and remove the wallplate. Use the same short piece of coax and barrel it to the coax inside the wall. if it works hook the wallplate back to the coax inside the wall and use the same short piece of coax and hook it upto the outside of the wallplate. This will help you rule out if it is the splitter, coax or wallplate.

0 Likes
Harish1

Thanks!  I'll give it a shot this afternoon and see how it goes.

0 Likes
Harish1

Update:

It's not the splitter or the wall plate.  Unfortunately for me, it's the cable 😞

Which means I need to look at the other locations.

thanks for helping me debug.  But I'm still curious as to how a cable can carry the internet signal (it's been rock solid for 2 days) and not the TV.

Thanks.

-harish

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

The internet uses MOCA to connect and the TV uses RF they operate at different frequencies. You might just have a problem with the way the connectors were placed on the ends of the coax. See if you can get those changed first before you rule out the coax.

0 Likes
Harish1

Ah I see.  Thanks for your help.  Now off to drag cable from the other outlet in a WAFfy way 🙂

-harish

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

You should replace the 8-way splitter with a four way splitter.  That will double the signal power on your four cable runs.  This may help with any marginal connectors or cables.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
Harish1

Will that work even if I've terminated the unused connections on the splitter?

0 Likes