Coaxial cable
msh689
A while ago when we were having issues with our cable, the technician stated that our coaxial cable was old and going bad which was the reason that we were having channels not work. Well now we cannot even turn on our box. Do you think that this is actually a coaxial cable issue? If so, would verizon replace the cable for me?
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Coaxial cable
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader
Can you "switch" boxes and see if the problem is solved .
Then I would suspect the STB BOX.
RUNNING NEW CABLING WOULD BE A LAST RESORT.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader
We need to know some history on your cable situation
did the cable exist before theFIOS installation or didFIOS install all of the cable
can you tell us what kind of cable that was was it RG 59 or RG 9
also have you checked your cable connections by detaching them and reconnecting them
can you troubleshoot your installation from your tv support menus.
TELL US IN DETAIL WHAT YOU HAVE BEEN ABLE TO DO SO FAR.
0 Likes
msh689

My apologies.  I do not know much about this situation which is why I came to the open forums.  There is no need to get frustrated.  The cable existed before I moved in.  I know that they owners before also had fios so I am unsure as to how long the cable has been in the home.  The technician assumed for as long as cable has installed in the home but no one knows how long that is.  I also do not know what kind of cable it is.  The other two boxes in my house work which was the case before as well.  When I turn on the box that is not working, it says I can trouble shoot but it says the actual cable line is the issue.  We have unplugged, replugged in, tightened, etc.  My only question is: does verizon replace cable lines (even if there is a fee) or do I have to do this myself?  Either way is fine; I would just like to know what my options are.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@msh689 wrote:

My only question is: does verizon replace cable lines (even if there is a fee) or do I have to do this myself?  Either way is fine; I would just like to know what my options are.

In case you didn't know, you're talking to other Verizon customers here.  If you want answers from Verizon, you need to contact them directly.  The "contact us" link at the bottom of these pages provides options.

Since we're just customers like you, we only know what you tell us about your problem.  We can't tell if the coax in your walls is good or bad without you giving us details.  If you don't know how to find out what kind of coax it is or how to test it, there is little we can do.

As far as repalcing coax inside your home, you can do it yourself or hire anyone to do it. Verizon may do it for a fee.  I'm not sure if Verizon will fish coax through walls or run them on the outside of the building and then tack them to the baseboards.

I suspect Verizon will charge a minimum fee and then an hourly rate on top of that.  They only way you can find out what they will do and charge is to contact them.

I suspect you'll be better off hiring a local handyman, home theater installer, or electrician. Especially if you want the wires inside the walls and out of sight.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader
Can you "switch" boxes and see if the problem is solved .
Then I would suspect the STB BOX.
RUNNING NEW CABLING WOULD BE A LAST RESORT.
0 Likes
msh689

I understand that I am talking to other customers.  I just wasn't sure if anyone else had to replace a cable before and if anyone knew if verizon did it.  Frankly, Verizon's customer service is the worst customer service I've ever experienced and I was doing anything I could do avoid having to contact them directly.  I have not had one good experience with them and I've been with them for almost two years.  It's been a constant problem.  I actually plan on cancelling my service as soon as possible.

Tom, That is what I am going to be trying tonight.  I do not want to have to run a new cable (as I'm sure no one would.).

Thanks for your help.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Lots of us have, over the years, had to replace many cables (Antenna/satellite, cable etc).  Verizon will not normally do it for you without a fee, unless they had just done the install and put in the cable.

0 Likes