Connecting 2 TVs to HDMI port on FIOS HD cable box
oldbird
I want to connect two HD TVs to a single FIOS HD Set Top Box (STB) that has one HDMI output.  The two TVs will be back to back across a wall between our family room and kitchen so cable distances for the **bleep**hest TV will be ~15'.  I realize both TVs wouldl have to "watch" the same channel selected on the STB.  Can I just use a passive HDMI "splitter" like this one: http://www.cablesunlimited.com/products/Prod_Individual3.aspx?groupcode=I3587 ? Would an active splitter like this: http://www.cablesunlimited.com/products/Prod_Individual3.aspx?groupcode=I3605 offer any advantage for my situation?  Any help will be appreciated.
0 Likes
Re: Connecting 2 TVs to HDMI port on FIOS HD cable box
Podunk
Wouldn't recommend HDMI, I would go with componont cabling.
0 Likes
oldbird
Thanks for the response.  I thought HDMI gave the best HD picture to the TV.  Why go with component video instead?
0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

I would be wary of the passive splitter as it doesn't list HDCP compliance.  This may cause the handshake between the STB and TV to fail if 2 sets try to respond to the handshake request.  The active splitter lists compliance but is quite expensive at $159.

As for the use of component cables (red / blue / green RCA jacks), that will still give full HD resolution but require a separate audio connection.  All the outputs on the HD STBs are active simultaneously so no additional hardware besides the cables would be required.  Many people feel there is little or no difference between HDMI and component. It would be cheaper to at least try component cables first as they can be had fairly inexpensively from monoprice.com (have used their HDMI and component cables with excellent results).

The ultimate choice depends on what you, the viewer, feel is best.

0 Likes
oldbird

Thanks for the advice about the passive splitter and the need for HDCP compliance.  

I am leaning on going the HDMI w/ active splitter route.  I think running the single HDMI cable will be a bit easier and cleaner than the set of component video and audio cables for my installation. and it looks like there are active splitters out there in the $50 - $80 range.

Any final advice on critical specs on the active splitter needed to work with my FIOS HD STB and new HD TVs?

0 Likes
kels

I'm with you about wanting to go with all HDMI but I've heard mixed resonses as to whether it's even noticeable.  But I wonder if you are wanting 1080p resolution (like I do since I paid for it on my new TV) if THEN you see the degradation?

Any thoughts on that tech support?

0 Likes
Reaper
Enthusiast - Level 3
Monoprice has good, inexpensive equipment. I don't use an HDMI splitter but I do use one of their HDMI switches. Here's their HDMI splitters: http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10113
0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@kels wrote:

...  But I wonder if you are wanting 1080p resolution (like I do since I paid for it on my new TV) if THEN you see the degradation?

Any thoughts on that tech support?

The maximum current resolution out of the Verizon STB is 1080i so the question posed by the OP doesn't concern 1080p.

0 Likes
rayman
the new QIP7216 HD DVR and QIP7100 HD boxes will support both 1080i/p if the program is being broadcast in 1080p.
0 Likes
kels

Will Verizon give an upgrade to the new 1080p boxes?

0 Likes