Constant Freezing (Usually on the HD Channels) but on others too.
tnpnldy
Enthusiast - Level 1

My main set-top box has been freezing constantly for the last few months. It's happened three times in the last two days now; the latest was just an hour ago. I turn on the TV to find a frozen image and I can't change the channel, bring up the info, anything. Turning off the box only gives me a blank black screen, and I can't turn it back on or anything else. The only way to fix it is to unplug the box and plug it back in, but it's getting irritating having to do that so often. I have called customer service in the past and have done as they suggested but freezing starts again about one week after doing as I am directed.  I was even sent a new DRV box and I sent it back as it did the same thing right after I switched them.  I see I am not the only person with this problem but I also don't see where anyone got it taken care of.  Will this ever be fixed, or do I need to go back to Cox.  Cox was not perfect by any shape of the imagination but at least it never froze like this does.  

0 Likes
Re: Constant Freezing (Usually on the HD Channels) but on others too.
PJL
Master - Level 3

@tnpnldy wrote:

My main set-top box has been freezing constantly for the last few months. It's happened three times in the last two days now; the latest was just an hour ago. I turn on the TV to find a frozen image and I can't change the channel, bring up the info, anything. Turning off the box only gives me a blank black screen, and I can't turn it back on or anything else. The only way to fix it is to unplug the box and plug it back in, but it's getting irritating having to do that so often. I have called customer service in the past and have done as they suggested but freezing starts again about one week after doing as I am directed.  I was even sent a new DRV box and I sent it back as it did the same thing right after I switched them.  I see I am not the only person with this problem but I also don't see where anyone got it taken care of.  Will this ever be fixed, or do I need to go back to Cox.  Cox was not perfect by any shape of the imagination but at least it never froze like this does.  

If it's only happening on one STB, and that was replaces, then it sounds like it's a problem with the coax run to that STB location.  Have you checked your splitters and all coax connectors, not just at the STB but all?

0 Likes
tnpnldy
Enthusiast - Level 1

I only have one DVR Box - I am the only one that has HD programming.  In answer to your question - yes - a technician did come out some time ago and everything checked out but it continued to freeze.  I sent back the DVR that was sent as there was no change in the freezing.  So, I have the original DVR.  

0 Likes
tnpnldy
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have reported this numerous times - have answered all questions from technical support - done everything I have been told by technical support BUT the Constant Freezing is continung at least twice a day.  I have reset the box each and every time but what if I do this and I am trying to record a program - I don't want to lose or quit the program I am recording.  Also, don't want to just turn off the TV so the program can be recorded. If I do turn if off the screen returns to the frozen screen. Will this ever be fixed or a simple fix that I can perform ever be provided?  

0 Likes
JSB21

Well it looks as if you never got an answer... I am having the same issue and it is getting more and more frequent. I have called them twice (now three) times on this and they do not seem to have an answer. They do something from the office but it never seems to solve the problem.... I am really getting ready to pay the cancelation penalty and switch to something else. Is Xfinity listening? They couldn't be any worse.

0 Likes
tnpnldy
Enthusiast - Level 1
Thanks for responding but mine is fixed. I got rid of the Verizon DVR and replaced it with a TiVo - boy do I love it - and no more freezing. Don't know why but the problem no longer exists. I can record up to 5 things at one time and watch the sixth so that's a plus too.
0 Likes