03-22-2009 05:10 PM
What is up with this? I had DirecTV for years and they had issues with their DVRs especially once they ditched TiVo and started using their own but I've very rarely had any channels unavailable.
And is this issue tied into the double 7-8 second recordings of the same show?
Any advice from any verizon techs or anyone who had had these issues? I've had this install since the first part of February and I'm getting pretty frustrated. I'd much rather get some answers here since I don't think I'll get much help with CSRs...
Thanks in advance.
03-22-2009 05:18 PM
03-22-2009 09:30 PM - edited 03-22-2009 09:33 PM
If this issue SUDDENLY showed up and you didn't change any of your hardware (wires, TVs etc.), it has NOTHING to do with your wiring. I have (or had) the same issue after months of uninterrupted recording and channel availability and didn't change ANY wires. I even switched from HDMI to component but that - as expected - didn't solve the problem. Now, over the last couple of days, it's working again - I don't know why?!
I thought I would have to wait until the 1.6.2 firmware update in my area but I'm still on 1.6.0 - according to my DVR.
In most cases, the problem you described is a known firmware-issue that should be resolved with the currently outrolled update to 1.6.2. If your system worked before, there is NO NEED to change a single wire!
03-23-2009 06:28 PM
The television is a Samsung - can't recall model number off the top of my head and honestly it's too big to move and look - it's a 32" but it's huge. It's about 2 years old, an HD "monitor" and the DVR is connected via component cables due to lack of HDMI ports, so I don't beleive it's an HDMI handshake issue. I did unplug the DVR for about a minute and so far so good but I'm not holding my breath.
This issue has been occuring for about three weeks now - gradually. It would do a 7-8 second double recording once in a while and once in a while we'd notice a channel would be currently unavailable. It was much more frequent but since I unplugged the DVR and reconnected it the issue has not reappeared. No wiring has been changed from the initial install and my DVR is on 1.6.0 firmware as well.
Hopefully this new firmware I've been hearing about will work... I have no issues with the internet or phone part at all and other than the flaky DVR I've had no issues with the TV.
03-23-2009 08:36 PM - edited 03-23-2009 08:37 PM
Yes, that should be the common 1.6.0 firmware issue - the same problem I had (still don't know why it's gone now but I'm certainly happy it is..).
When I had the problem, unplugging and plugging back in didn't help much - it only made it possible to watch the channel that was previously "unavailable". As soon as I switched the channel, I had the same issue - "currently unavailable".
But based on other users who already got the 1.6.2 update, this problem will be solved.