Default Channel when turning STB on
coopunleashed
Anyone else notice that the default channel on startup is channel 253?  Anyone know how to change that?  I would prefer to have it start to one of the channels I watch the most instead of cartoons. 
Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: Default Channel when turning STB on
CapnTrips
Contributor - Level 3

Nope. 

I have NOT noticed that. 

In fact I HAVE noticed that it usually starts up on the channel most recently tuned - i.e. either the last channel I was watching, or the last channel which had a unattended recording conducted.

Of course, I'm talking about DVRs.  I don't know anything about regular STBs.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Yeah, the box should start up on the last channel you were on when you turned it off. (unless its a dvr and it changed channels to record something since you turned it off. then it will be on the channel that was being recorded)

The only time I've seen this change is when they reset the box, then it always comes up on channel 131 (verizon info channel)

Message Edited by spacedebris on 08-11-2009 10:54 AM
0 Likes
matcarl
Master - Level 1
Even with a box reset, it always defaults to where you left it. I have never seen it start at channel 131.
0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@matcarl wrote:
Even with a box reset, it always defaults to where you left it. I have never seen it start at channel 131.

reboot, yes, back to the channel you were on

reset, no, goes to channel 131 (or at least it always does on mine)

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

As others have said, no, I have never had either my DVR or my SD STBs come up on any channel other than the last one I was watching or, for the DVR, the last channel recorded if that was after I last used the box. And I have no idea whether mine has ever come on with 131, I don't think so, but maybe after a reset it might have. I never turn any of my STBs off, don't whether that might have some effect or not, they draw nearly the same amount of power whether they are on or off so I see no value in turning them off.

I think the OP has a broken box.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
jmcohen231
Contributor - Level 3
check to make sure that someone in your home is not setting a reminder for that channel at certain times.
0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2
I like to leave my TV on Channel 7 (ABC in NY) so if I get up past 7 I can rewind GMA and skip the commericals.  About 2 times a week I will wake to find the TV on channel 23 which is PBS.  We do not record anything on channel 23 so it appears this change occurs in the night between 11 and 7.   I wish it would always stay on the last channel, but doesn't always do it.
0 Likes