do I need a converter box for each TV?!
paspar2
With cable, I have some TV's with no box and I still get basic channels which I am ok with - Does the same go for fios or will I need converters at each TV?
0 Likes
Re: do I need a converter box for each TV?!
DzWR
Contributor - Level 1
Unless your tvs have QAM tuners to read a digital signal you will have to have a converter box or a cable card.
0 Likes
paspar2

the tv's with no converter do have QAM tuners...  so to be clear, the fios signal does carry the basic local channels in both analog (till that's over) and digital with no need for a box/converter to sit between the tv and the rg6 line in?

is this some sort of federal requirement or a quirk that may change anytime?
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@paspar2 wrote:

the tv's with no converter do have QAM tuners...  so to be clear, the fios signal does carry the basic local channels in both analog (till that's over) and digital with no need for a box/converter to sit between the tv and the rg6 line in?

is this some sort of federal requirement or a quirk that may change anytime?

No, that is not correct. There are no analog channels, period, on FiOS any longer, they were discontinued last year, everything is delivered digital. But yes, if your TV has a QAM tuner, it will see a few channels in the clear on FiOS: your locals, the PEGs, and a few more I think (I don'thave a TV qith a QAM tuner).

I don't know about any federal requirements.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
DzWR
Contributor - Level 1

As far as a federal requirement, the FCC is the one wanting everyone to go all digital.  All tv providers should have already been digital but that was delayed because they don't think everyone had gotten the message.  I am sure after everyone and everything is digital one of those quirks might pop up.

Unfortunately as of this moment, it is what it is.

0 Likes