Do I still need an STB to receive the FiOS Local Only service on a NTSC TV?
BlurryEyed

Unfortunately, due to the failing economy, I am considering downgrading my FiOS Essentials package to just the Local Only package ($12.99 vs. $47.99 per month). Would I still need to rent a Set Top Box to receive FiOS local only channels on a NTSC set? If so, does it need to be my current Standard Def. box or would the cheaper Digital Adapter do the job? I presume that a basic digital-to-analog converter box would not work with FiOS, even on just local channels. I would appreciate any help anyone can offer. Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Do I still need an STB to receive the FiOS Local Only service on a NTSC TV?
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
You need a box unless your TV has a QAM tuner. The Digital Adapter will do fine. No VOD, Guide or Widgets.
0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

BlurryEyed wrote

....  I presume that a basic digital-to-analog converter box would not work with FiOS, even on just local channels.

I assume you are referring to the converter boxes that are part of the government coupon program and the answer is they won't work with FiOS.  Those boxes decode ATSC (terrestrial modulation method) and FiOS uses QAM.

0 Likes
BlurryEyed

Thanks for the reply, Telcoguru, but it brings up another question. If I continue to use a Standard Definition STB for the Local Only package (instead of a Digital Adapter), would I still have access to VOD? Or do I need to subscribe to the Essentials package to receive VOD? Don't mean to sound greedy, but I'd want to get as much programming as possible while reducing costs.

0 Likes
Techman28
Master - Level 1
if you have a standard box you will get everything VOD, PPV, Widgets, etc
0 Likes